+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Paint splitting/cracking in our bathroom

Since we've moved in, the paint on the ceiling and walls in one of our bathrooms has been splitting/cracking. I use the term splitting because the cracks are long and look as if they "split" apart.

The majority of the cracks are above our bathtub, which is primarily used as a shower, but they are in other ares of the bathroom.

It's clear we need to repaint, but I'm curious what's causes this splitting so we can avoid it happening in the future.

Default Re: Paint splitting/cracking in our bathroom

It is likely excessive moisture build-up that is not being vented. Install an exhaust vent, open a window, or leave the door open and utilize a desktop fan to clear the moisture from the bathroom.

The cure for the paint is to float out the damaged areas, retexture, prime, and paint with a good quality semi-gloss or gloss paint. semi-gloss/gloss finishes resist moisture better than flats and matte finishes.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    It is likely excessive moisture build-up that is not being vented. Install an exhaust vent, open a window, or leave the door open and utilize a desktop fan to clear the moisture from the bathroom.

The cure for the paint is to float out the damaged areas, retexture, prime, and paint with a good quality semi-gloss or gloss paint. semi-gloss/gloss finishes resist moisture better than flats and matte finishes.
    We don't have an exhaust vent, so moisture does build up and bead on the ceiling. Thanks for the direction!

As always, thank you sir!

You're welcome.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

MBeach,

If you don't have an exhaust fan, you must have a window that opens.

I have a 4x1 window in my shower, which I never shut, which works well. Just don't tell the thieves.

i back these two 100% on this. they know their stuff
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Just don't tell the thieves.
    I'm tell-ing, I'm tell-ing!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    MBeach,

If you don't have an exhaust fan, you must have a window that opens.

I have a 4x1 window in my shower, which I never shut, which works well. Just don't tell the thieves.
    We have a window in our shower, but we only open it after the shower is finished. Since the window is at waist level and isn't caulked shut, we have a basic cut down shower curtain that hangs over it.

I think I've got to decide if I should piecemeal this bathroom upgrade or get it all done at once, since it needs other work as well!

Oh hey, that sounds like my bathroom. Most of the windowsill paint is peeling and so are the walls. I don't have a fan, so I'm thinking it's moisture also? Leaving the window open does help a little.

That's right, RockyChristine, it's plain logic: you must remove moisture and steam out of the bathroom and keep the place well ventilated to avoid pain problems, mold and many other problems.