+ Reply to Thread

Default Type of wiring for garbage disposal

Im running a new 15amp dedicated line for a garbage disposal and ive seen different types of wiring used. Is there a prefered wiring type, such as shealthed in metal or rated for outdoor/water use, or is regular 14/2 romex fine? I plan on having the switch located under the sink so metal or plastic box?

Default Re: Type of wiring for garbage disposal

In my fair city the electrical code requires all exposed wiring to be metal clad. If you want, you can install a cord with integrated plug on the GD then use a metal junction box to hold the outlet which the GD is plugged into.

Quote Originally Posted by dcalabro View Post
    Im running a new 15amp dedicated line for a garbage disposal and ive seen different types of wiring used. Is there a prefered wiring type, such as shealthed in metal or rated for outdoor/water use, or is regular 14/2 romex fine? I plan on having the switch located under the sink so metal or plastic box?
    The 14/2 romex from the breaker panel to the switch box is fine -- from the box to the disposal I would use the metal clad ( BX ) since it's only a foot or two it won't be that expensive. The switch box can be either metal or plastic as long as the ground conductor is properly bonded to the box.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

All disposals I've had always used a dedicated electrical outlet and a standard grounded plug. The outlet is switched by the toggle switch over the counter. But perhaps this is no longer allowed by code and it needs to be hard wired.
    1925 Two-Story Stucco Beaux Arts Neoclassical

I like to put a GFCI receptacle under the sink because there can be a lot of water under there, when things go bad.

An under-the-sink switch can control the GFCI using Romex.

I then run a 18" to 36" piece of 14-2 SO cord to the disposer and a grounding receptacle cap (plug). This helps to disconnect the disposer and work on it in your workshop, when things go bad.

Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, http://thesemi-retiredelectrician.com

In some of my houses the under the sink receptacles have plastic boxes and in the others, metal boxes. They are both to code.

In the homes that I've built, I've used romax. Using GFCI is probably the thing to do nowadays.

All of my garbage disposals have factory installed power cords to plug in. It must be to code.

If a plastic box is used it usually can't be used with metal connector if smaller than 100 cu.in. And, if allowed a metal connector must be grounded.

So, a metal box is a smart choice.

Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, http://thesemiretiredelectrician.com