+ Reply to Thread

Default Bulging Sheetrock

I just recently finished installing dry-fill blown in cellulose insulation in all the exterior walls of my house. I had a couple issues where a wall was obviously bulging or cracking but I noticed them right away.

Now, a couple weeks after completion, I noticed that one of the horizontal seams between sheetrock sheets is visible because the entire upper half of the wall is bulging!

I originally thought this happened when I was installing the insulation and that I just didn't notice somehow. But after attempting to remove some insulation and loosen it up, I find that the wall just won't go down. Even if I force it, it just springs right back out.

So I'm thinking that this problem was there the whole time and I just didn't notice. The house is 34 years old, so I think the walls maybe just shrunk a little (a mere 1/8" shrink would make the wall bulge 2" by my calculation). Is this plausible? The wall with the worst bulging is the longest wall with no windows or other walls coming off of it.

What can I do to fix this? I was thinking to remove a thin sliver of sheetrock along the ceiling and then screwing the panels back down at each stud. Is there a better way?

Default Re: Bulging Sheetrock

Your process for fixing it sounds fine.

But you might want to check for moisture in the wall; in case the bulging is being caused by moisture penetration. There are hand-help devices that can check for this.