+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Install Flood Light

I want to install a motion sensor flood light using an existing circuit.
    How can a flood light be installed at the end of a run? the circuit consists of two ceiling lights in a carport controlled by two three-way switches. I want run a 12-2 wire from the second light, which is now the end of the circuit, to the sensor controlled flood light. I want the flood light to have continuous power without being controlled by the switches. Will it work to just attach the black and white wires and bypass the third red wire in the 12-3 run?
    Last edited by steelydan17; 10-19-2011 at 07:30 PM. Reason: spelling

Default Re: Install Flood Light

If you want the flood light to have continuous power, then you don't connect it to a switch controlled outlet.

I'm not an elctrical sage and don't understnad how 2-3 way switches work.

But shouldn't he tap from a source before any switch for the new branch to power the floodlights.

Then, at the new branch, he should switch the motion sensor floodlight so he can activate it for continuous lighting or turn on/off for trouble shooting.

Instead, he would be installing a branch within a switched branch if tapping from a switched light.

Quote Originally Posted by Brookworld View Post
    I'm not an elctrical sage and don't understnad how 2-3 way switches work.

But shouldn't he tap from a source before any switch for the new branch to power the floodlights.

Then, at the new branch, he should switch the motion sensor floodlight so he can activate it for continuous lighting or turn on/off for trouble shooting.

Instead, he would be installing a branch within a switched branch if tapping from a switched light.
    Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by steelydan17 View Post
    I want to install a motion sensor flood light using an existing circuit.
    How can a flood light be installed at the end of a run? the circuit consists of two ceiling lights in a carport controlled by two three-way switches. I want run a 12-2 wire from the second light, which is now the end of the circuit, to the sensor controlled flood light. I want the flood light to have continuous power without being controlled by the switches. Will it work to just attach the black and white wires and bypass the third red wire in the 12-3 run?
    First thing --- you need to determine if the addtional load is not overloading the existing circuit.

Second -- you have to find where you can connect to a constant feed and follow the above suggestion --- especially adding a switch..

Are you sure you need 12/2 rather than 14/2 ?
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush