+ Reply to Thread

Default New Bedford house blocked

We love watching TOH on Sunday nights, and were very happy to see the beginning of the New Bedford house series. But, as a 70-something wheelchair user I was appalled when your very first move was to take out the ramp that would have allowed me or any other chairbound person to get into and out the house unaided. And think how much easier it would be to push a grocery cart or other wheeled container up a ramp than lifting up the stairs into the house!

In future projects, please take ADA into account, and provide access to and from a house. In mine, we have installed a ramp from the garage to the main floor, and a stair lift up to the second floor, where I spend 99.9% of my time.

Thsnks,

Michael M.T. Henderson

Default Re: New Bedford house blocked

Like your house, this is a private residence, not a public building. This family does not appear to need that type of access. However, I do see your point. My wife and I bought our current home 25 years ago and now I am having to make modifications for our aging. When I remodeled our master bath, I did it as a handicap bath, even though we don't quite need it yet.

At this point in time, they should look with an eye for the handicap so that any future needs will be more easily addressed, such as door width, stairway width, and height of light switches. Plumbing should be done with considerations of future needs as well, such as the ability to easily change sink heights etc.

Default Re: New Bedford house blocked

Im sorry but that 'ramp' was barely hanging on. Rotten flooring sections, completely inadequate footings, handrail that was literally falling off. It would have been more irresponsible to leave it and cost prohibitive to shore it up than to completely rebuild it. Besides it would have completely been in the way for all the reno plans on that side of the house.
    Not to mention the family doesn't have a need for a handicap ramp.
    Tommy and the crew did the right thing by letting that dodgy ugly thing finally give up the ghost.
    jeez