+ Reply to Thread

Default Home Depot Replacement Windows

Despite wanting to install my own windows, I sadly chose to have our local home improvement store (Home Depot) custom make the windows and subcontract the work. My fear is that they will pick any random contractor, I will wind up with a horrible window install and I will have to play phone tag to try to get someone to correct any issues.

I'm reaching out to figure out what I can ask them or look at to do my due diligence to find out if this person knows what they are doing before they rip out the old window. I have siding on the outside and I don't think they will take off the siding to do proper flashing all around the new window but i'm not sure what the general process is for preventing water infiltration with replacement windows.

What should I ask them?
    What should I look for?
    What kinf of flashing/water prevention methods should I look for?

Default Re: Home Depot Replacement Windows

You're going to get a one day install. It's the way it is. I know the process when it comes to replacement windows.

Flashing? are you serious? Unless you got new construction windows and have the installers remove siding down to the sheathing, forget about getting a proper install.

you're getting replacement windows, not new construction ones so they won't be flashed as they are with new construction windows. they can still be installed properly and water tight. it just depends on who installs them. home depot uses all subcontractors for their installs. my advice to you is to do three things. #1 ask for who's going to be doing the install. #2 ask for a list of complaints against that particular contractor. #3 get references on that particular contractor and CALL THE REFERENCES to see how satisfied the customers were. home depot has some contractors that to terrific work and some that do horrible work. it is a pretty big crap shoot when hiring home depot but if you do your homework properly you can make out pretty well.

We had our replacement windows installed by one of the companys that advertises constantly on TV. After they were installed, I contacted the Township inspection department who informed me that flashing is required on replacement windows. The manner in which ours were installed (from inside the house) told me they were not flashed. I called the company and told them that the inspector "red tagged" the job and that they would not be paid. They came out, removed the windows, flashed them and reinstalled them. The installer complained constantly that he had never heard of such a thing, but he did it.

Most of the replacement windows simply drop in place of the old wood sashes (the jambs remain), and removing siding generally isn't necessary, nor is flashing. Is it a good way of installing? Maybe, maybe not. If the existing wood jambs are in good condition and there are no infiltration problems where the siding meets the jamb, it can be an inexpensive way of getting new windows. If there is not good integrity, then it's just lipstick on a pig and you'll have even bigger problems down the road.

Replacing with "new construction" windows gives you the opportunity to improve the integrity of the building envelope, because you will have to remove siding and install proper flashing. However, most new windows don't accurately replicate the style of double-hung wood windows, and will change the appearance of your home. To retain the appearance, it will likely be a much more expensive job as the production volume for that style of window is so much lower (so the tooling costs must be amortized over fewer windows).
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

there are 3 ways to replace a window

1) remove the siding around it, remove the old window, install the new construction window which has a nailing flange. 1st install a drip pan on the sil of the framing using blueskin or vycor.. second run a bead of caulking at the sides and top of the rough opening for which the window will be set into.. install new window fastening both by the nailing flange but also with hurricane ties. blueskin over the side and top nailing flanges onto the sheathing. being sure to do the sides first then the top. from there install a metal cap flashing which also gets a back bead of caulking and run a strip of vycor over the top edge of hte cap flashing.. from there reinstall the siding

2) remove old window leaving siding intact. bend up the cap flashing just enough to remove the old window and slip the new one into the opening. run a bead of caulking at the sides at top of the rough opening then set the new window into the opening. shim and fasten with both hurricane straps and by screwing through the frame into framing. bend the cap flashing back down so the top of the window is sealed

3) window inserts.. remove the inside trim so to get at the the old sashes.. remove the old sashes. set new insert into window frame.. shim as needed and screw through the frame of hte insert into the existing window frame.. seal any gaps with spray foam then clad the outside wood with aluminum cladding. caulk all seams

etc...

personally i wont warrenty the second method for very long because there is no mechanical flashing at the edges of the window only caulking.. and inserts are a a joke, i hate the things and hardly trust them improving energy efficiency to anywhere near the performance of a full replacement described in method 1
    fire up the saw and make some dust