+ Reply to Thread

Thread: attic fan

Default attic fan

The attic fan in my newly purchased homes is set to go on automatically at 120 degrees in the attic but I often hear it go on at night and on really cool days. Shouldn't it retain heat in the fall and on into the winter rather than remove it. What is a good summer and winter setting. Would appreciate any infor. HelenP

Default Re: attic fan

120 sounds like a good setting. Once my fan comes on it will run sometimes until 9:00 pm or so on hot summer days. I don't recall the setting and don't feel like getting in the attic to check. It doesn't come on usually in cooler weather and it never comes on after it turns off. Do you also have a humidistat that could be turning the fan on? You might try a slightly higher setting. By the way, my fan has two settings, one for on and another for off. Or call back the builder.

I always install a power over-ride switch when I put in attic fans, that way you can turn them off if you want to, particularly in the winter.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

The thermostats on house fans aren't the most accurate devices in the world either.