I have an older house that has exposed eaves but no soffits.

I have just redone my roof and I installed a ridge vent
How do i go about adding vents to ventilate the attic
There appears to be solid blocking under the eave where
there would normally be space in a new house construction.
Can i install round soffits by drilling a hole into the blocking into the attic?