+ Reply to Thread

Question Exterior Flood Replacement--rectangular box, lights looking for round

Looking for some help with an exterior light quandary...

Recently purchased a home built in 1901. On the driveway side of the house there is an older existing floodlight with motion sensor. The motion sensor is unfortunately rubbish with no predictability to how it'll go on.

I purchased a new flood to replace it, but when I got up close I realized a problem: the existing flood is mounted into a normal 1-gang rectangular electrical box. The new light is designed to mount into a round box, and after a bit of searching, that seems to be how all the lights on the market are.

Replacing the electrical box with a round one is a bigger project than I'm looking to tackle right now, especially since the house has aluminum siding.

I was thinking maybe they make some kind of adapter plate in between the light and the existing box, but I haven't found one.

Any suggestions on how to handle this?

Default Re: Exterior Flood Replacement--rectangular box, lights looking for round

If you refer to the distance between the mounting holes in the existing box which is not the same distance in the new fixture, you can install a metal strip to compensate for that. It should be in the package of the new fixture. It's also available at the electric supply area at HD or electrical supply outlets.

Default Re: Exterior Flood Replacement--rectangular box, lights looking for round

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    If you refer to the distance between the mounting holes in the existing box which is not the same distance in the new fixture, you can install a metal strip to compensate for that. It should be in the package of the new fixture. It's also available at the electric supply area at HD or electrical supply outlets.
    My guess is that he'd need the adjustable mounting plate, the one with two metal strips the pivot in the middle. This will allow attachment to the box and then swivel the second into the correct mounting position.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I've purchased two different exterior floods--both were circle bases with a circular gasket and no additional mounting hardware included.

I actually did not check to see if the screw holes lined up when I had the box apart this weekend. My primary concern was with it being water tight as the mount/gasket didn't look like they were going to provide that with the 1 gang box...

A long as the box is recessed a little so that the fixture makes good contact with the siding, it should be fine. If you are really worried about it, you could run a little caulk around the top half of the fixture/wall joint.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

The box is not recessed, it sticks out a quarter or a half inch from the siding as is. When I did a dry fitting it did not seem like it had any chance of being water tight and I went back to the old fixture for time being.

Based on responses here and the bit of searching round I've been able to do it doesn't sound like I have any options short of changing the electrical box, or trying the unit with the round base and perhaps caulking it (screw adapter may be required)...

(unless of course I just live with the bad light that's there or pay an electrician to figure it out)

I'm still ears if anyone else has ideas, thanks for responses...

You could cut a medallion just a little larger than the base of the light fixture out of solid wood and cut rectangular hole in the middle to fit over the existing box. Use the two piece adjustable bracket I mentioned earlier and you should be good to go. You can caulk the medallion to the house and paint it to match either the house or the light fixture.

You could actually just screw the medallion to the house, then screw the fixture directly to the medallion, rather than using the bracket. It's up to you. If you go this route, then you'd paint the screws to match the fixture.

is the light designed where you can replace just the sensor?? alot of them are, and you can buy the sensors at alot of hardware stores.. a cheap easy fix if it will work in your situation.

Quote Originally Posted by sparky1 View Post
    is the light designed where you can replace just the sensor?? alot of them are, and you can buy the sensors at alot of hardware stores.. a cheap easy fix if it will work in your situation.
    I was looking at that, but it doesn't look like a straight swap...would have to get creative with my hacksaw (which brings me back to my original fears of weatherproofing).

Also, my searches seemed to show that (****** at least) the sensors alone tend to cost more than some of the fixtures that include them...