+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hanging Drywall

Default Hanging Drywall

Hi All,

I just finished framing out a room in my basement and the next step is to hang the drywall.

In order to test the ceiling joists and studs, I've put a six foot level across all members to note the flatness of the walls and ceilings. It seems that some of the members are off by as much as an eighth of an inch.

Is this acceptably flat to hang drywall?

Thanks in advance,

Bob

Default Re: Hanging Drywall

You shouldn't notice that small variance, unless your joists are unusually close together.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    You shouldn't notice that small variance, unless your joists are unusually close together.
    Thank you.

Joists and studs are all 16 inches on center.

Bob

1/8" is nothing to worry about.

But if you're a perfectionist, you can attach ready cut cardboard strips (available at the drywall area in the box stores) to the joists to fill in the gaps. So when you install the drywall sheets, they are completely flat.

Thanks guys!

1/8 " is nothing honestly, that can be just slight irregularites in the joists and studs..its wood after all.you can create a perfectly flat wall with steel stud but its much less resiliant to any abuse.. if your moving furniture around a corner and hit the corner really hard more than just hte corner bead will be damaged, if the stud gets bent you have to remove the drywall and replace the stud
    fire up the saw and make some dust