+ Reply to Thread

Default fireplace interiors

I have two 1962 fireplaces, both with brick interiors that I have painted with heat resistant paint. Rather than installing a full insert box, is there any reason I shouldn’t cover the walls and floor with slate or tiles that can stand up to heat? One fireplace has gas logs but the other is a grate and log affair. I would like a smooth surface that I could clean more easily. thanks for suggestions.

Default Re: fireplace interiors

If you intend to burn logs in your fireplace then you do not want to use anything that is not rated and approved for fireplace linings. This is a serious spot in your home and requires the proper materials. Ck w/ local fireplace companies for info on fireplace liner materials they may sell or sources they may send you to.

As for the gas log one, much less heat will be produced against the floor and walls of the fireplace interior, but still...call or go by a local fireplace shop for advice.

Last thing you want is particles of hot stone or tile pieces blasting out into your room.