+ Reply to Thread

Default cutting and installing granite tile

Like some advice on best way to cut granite tile 12 x 12.

I have a circular saw and chop saw.

I want to tile my countertop with it and I'm not sure as to how to finish the edges, either, other than making a wood bullnose.

Default Re: cutting and installing granite tile

Working with stone takes stone working tools. Usually a wet saw with a decent diamond blade to cut the tiles. Profiling the edges (bullnosing) takes an experienced hand and may be better for you to have done professionally. Round these parts bullnosing of granite tiles runs one dollar per linear inch. Plan ahead and have a few spared made. To purchase the tools needed would start around $600.

OR you can use pre-made matching granite counter edge pieces such as the ones sold at Floor And Decor.

OR you can use a counter edge profile as they types made by Schluter.

Your substrate for natural stone should be 2 layers of BC grade plywood or better, no sheathing or CDX grade. You'll also want to waterproof the counter with a liquid or sheet membrane.

OR

You can use 2" thick Schluter Kerdi Board as your substrate and solve all the problems at once.

My suggestion is to head on over to the John Bridge Tile forum where you can peruse the extensive library.

Smile Re: cutting and installing granite tile

Thank you very much, Houston, that sounds like some very helpful information and I'll definitely take it into account in my venture.

Why don't you get a price on a full granite top installed.

You will regret installing cheap china granite that are not consistent in size. But if you do go ahead with them your biggest concern is getting them all perfectly flat in relationship to one another, a challenge if these are inferior cheap tiles.

As for the edges, a hard wood edge is nice if done right, otherwise, drop off a bunch of tiles to your local natural stone fabricator and have them bull nose the edge for your end pieces.

Installing granite tile on a counter top is pretty much the same as installing ceramic tile on a floor with just a few different techniques involved.