+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: How do I remover black mastic from hardwood floor?

I will try the hair dryer first to see if it has any effect. If not may try the heat gun, depends on how heat works. I do have a messy fall back plan. I used one of the orange cleaner products when I first started but only used a cloth, not a brush. It totally dissolved the black stuff as well as the finish on the floor. I do not know what finish is on the floor because the new carpet has been down since 1999. It replaced shag carpet from the 60's or 70's and the block tile was under that. The block tile must have been down since the 40's. I doubt they had poly then so it is probably just wax. I have been told that the orange cleaner will dissolve all types of glue and related products, but I do not know how much mess it will cause.

tfrenos,
    You may want to try some of this on your cabinets. It is biodegradable and not hazardous to breath. I know it dissolves wax but I do not know about a cabinet finish. I just used a sander on my cabinets when I refinished them.

I was looking back at my old posts and figured I'd share how things worked out for me... I was going to go for heat (hair dryer), but it was messy and I was still concerned about the bit still left on the floor interfering with the bond of mortared tile. So what I did was start with an old sc****r and hammer to chip off the thicker chunks of black mastic. Then I used gasoline. The gas melted the mastic pretty quickly, I wiped with a rag then covered with cat litter. It took three cleanings before I was satisfied that I had clean enough concrete for tile to reliably bond too.

I only had about 20 square feet to clean, so this approach got me through. But I'm not sure I'd recommend it. Having the room smell like gas for a few days was tough. But it worked. It's been a few months now and the tiles haven't poped up yet.

Thanks for the information. I think I will pass on the gas. Sounds like gas will melt it, but I have a daughter-in-law who smokes all over the house. She could smoke at the wrong place at the wrong time. I plan to sand and refinsih the floors so I do not want to use any compound which will harm them. There is probably 800 or 900 square feet to remove. Due to planting, trimming, and other outdoor activities I have been unable to return to my project. I still plan to try the "orange" compound. It worked on the 2 square feet I tried but took a long time.

Thanks again for the report.

David

Use of solvents (aside from water) are very bad for removing 'cutback' from concrete when tiling for a very simple reason; the solvents disolve the cutback and allow it to sink into the slab making the bond of the tile worse, if it bonds at all. Before tiling we always perform a sinple test; wet the slab with about 1/4 cup of water in a few loactions. If after 20 minutes the water hasn't absorbed, the slab needs to be scarified with a diamnodn cup grinder to open the pores of the slab so the thinset can bond.

Aside from pure muscle, one can grind off the cutback with the same diamond cup grinder, usually mounted on a hand held, variable speed, right angle grinder. Use a dust mask, shop vac, and large fan pointed out a window.