+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hard wood flooring in a bathroom?

I am creating a master suite and would like the flooring in the bathroom area to match the already existing wood flooring in the bedroom. I have heard that if you use a "harder" hardwood then it will have less problems with the moisture. Is this true? If so, what is a good choice? Or is it just a bad idea in a bathroom? ( it will have a clawfoot tub and no shower-if that matters)

Default Re: Hard wood flooring in a bathroom?

It's not the hardness of the wood, it's the quality and durability of the finish that will prevent surface spills from penetrating and staining or damaging the flooring.

I personally would not put hardwood in a full bathroom (a half bath, no problem ) because of the propensity for water to always be on the floor. Also, depending on the type of flooring your choosing, it may not fair well under the weight of a claw foot tub.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

We've had hard wood floors in or bath for over 25 years. Proper maintenance and keeping it dry is the key. A good hard finish is necessary.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

id imagine having all edges sealed before it goes down is also pretty important. personally i would never do it, especially with new hardwood since old growth is near impossible to find.. as old growth is more resident to decay as well
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Reclaimed teak hardwood flooring could work. You could then treat it with marine varnish like on boats.

no problem.

In a bathroom I recommend Porcelain tiles that look like wood.

the porcelain tile that looks like wood is actually really sharp. its been installed in a couple homes ived worked on along with a few big commercial jobs..

as for teak.. unless you have a unlimited budget forget about it. teak is one of the most expensive hardwoods you can buy and its extremely hard to work with because of how hard it is and the resins in it
    fire up the saw and make some dust

There are more and more "plank" tiles to choose from which look amazingly like real wood. Of course your floor joists and subflooring will need to be adequate for tiles. Generally speaking, if your floor flexes too much for a tile floor, you'll have the next problem;

Its not the wood that gives rise to the problems, its the cracks between the boards where the water gets in between to do its damage. Maintaing the top surface with very tightly laid planks can be more work than some people would do on a lifetime basis.

Wood expands and contracts under moisture influences. The harder the wood, the better especially with a clawfoot tub sitting on it. Softer woods can get grooved out too easily and scuffed out. The exception being softer woods that are compressed together to make them harder. There are other factors to consider though. Let's face it...things spill in bathrooms and sometimes toilets leak. You don't want water and moisture going through a bare hardwood floor and seeping in between floors where mold and so forth can begin to flourish.