+ Reply to Thread

Default replacement windows and costs

Hi,
    I'm in the market for new windows and I'm not sure what the going rate is for product and install. I want twin DBL hung in one room,ROS 71"x59.5". Can you tell me what I should expect to pay for product and install.(Pella Thermastar)Also,the same ROS but a Bow w/casement flankers in another room. (Pella Thermastar) new construction. I live in South Jersey

THANKS,
    radar444

Default Re: replacement windows and costs

RATES VARY from company to company and by region, the situation change the price as well. call afew companys for quotes
    fire up the saw and make some dust

I'll suggest something so you'll have 1 reference point . . .

Figure out the window cost (hardware), add 100% for labor (removal & installation).

Prepare for sticker shock -- I have a 1-panel triple window (about 10 feet x 5, just a guess) and a guy thought it was going to be $2,000 minimum for a nice branded replacement, and I think that was without removal/installation.

Windows are just like any other building material: their prices do vary.

My advice: take your measurements and ask around. You'll get various estimates and prices. Some low, some high. Choose your installer more carefully than your window.

Just remember this: a poorly installed expensive window will be worthless and a disaster. And a correctly installed inexpensive window will be a joy.

Of course, a correctly installed expensive window will be a joy too.

Installation is key. Cheap windows can run as low as $100. THese are what you'll find on most new construction. Parts fall off, the vinyl discolors, they leak and Premium high quality windows can run nearly $1000. Cheap windows are good for maybe 15-20 years tops.

Midrange might last 20-30. Premium might last 40-50, but may actually be serviceable. Marvins and some of the op of the line Pellas are the best windows, and the only thing of equal quality to many original historic windows.

I don't know the age of your house or what you're replacing. But most all windows built before 1945 are rebuildable and far higher quality than most modern windows. Their service life is 200+ years with proper maintenance.
    1925 Two-Story Stucco Beaux Arts Neoclassical

Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    I don't know the age of your house or what you're replacing. But most all windows built before 1945 are rebuildable and far higher quality than most modern windows. Their service life is 200+ years with proper maintenance.
    Best comment I've read so far...
    Thanks motoguy. Old windows have a special place in my heart.
    The true Craftsman is nearly extinct,
    now it's just Made in China Hidden Content

What kind of windows are you thinking about? Bay windows can be priced differently than, say, awning or hopper variations.