Smile heater return problem

My house has a unfinished crawlspace and last summer while fixing my blown pipe I saw that the return of the heater has a big hole. The main return is under the house and is made of
    black plastic insulated material. Can I run my heater and just totally cover the main return? Because I can smell the odor under the house of damp soil when the heater runs. I thought of covering the hole, but i haven't check the lenght of the return if its still ok. I'm thinking yo let somebody fix it but it might cost a lot especially its a dirty crawlspace.
    Help me please.

Default Re: heater return problem

Get the hole patched, that will be the best means of repair. You can probably temp fix it yourself with some aluminum tape until you can get a pro out to fix it properly. You do not want to block off the return to the furnace or you will not get adequate heating or circulation.
    Come to Hidden Content for all your DIY needs

Default Re: heater return problem

Also, if you let too much dust and dirt into the heater/a-c, depending on the type of unit you have, you will end up with a bigger cleaning job later.

While you must do what it takes to remedy the situation, working under the house is extremely difficult: dark, dusty, dirty, spiders and insects, hard to move etc.

I live in quake area, and whenver I go under the house, I need another person present and a fully charged cell phone...what if?

Therefore, the labor part won't be cheap.