+ Reply to Thread

Default broken PVC pipe in attic

There is a vertical 3 inch PVC pipe in my attic that has snapped apart at an elbow and is full of water. When connected it went from the concrete slab up 3 levels into the attic and through the roof. Since I live in a townhouse, that pipe is about 35 ft long at the break. 2 plumbers have said it might be an old radon pipe that filled up with rainwater over the years and snapped at an elbow under the weight of the water. I had the roof end capped to keep the rain out. I called the builder but they couldn't tell me what the pipe was for but they recommended I have it pumped out and reconnected. I'd like to be sure it's not part of the plumbing/venting system. A camera inspection would show that but it's in an un-floored section of my attic and hard to get to and work on. If it's a radon tube I think I'd need it pumped out, reconnected and also have a water proof venting cap installed on it. I can't find anyone to do the job, especially the pumping out part. I live in Northern Virginia and can't physically do the work myself due to a disability, any advice??

Default Re: broken PVC pipe in attic

I'd consult with local plumbers with camera capabilities. They'd be able to inspect the line and determine what it is. You can tell them up front that you suspect it may be a radon line and that it may need to be pumped, can they handle that?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Done that with 2 plumbers. Neither can pump out 35 ft of water in the pipe. Spoke to a few others, so far no takers..

Then I'd keep calling plumbers until I found one who could do what I asked. You might check with drain clearing spe******ts.

I'm not sure how a radon system works, but one would assume that if it's to vent a build up of gas from under the structure/slab, then that pipe would have to be perforated for the gas to get into it in the first place, which begs the questions, why is the pipe not draining, and shouldn't it be scoped to find out?

If it's a plumbing vent, it ain't working when it's full of water.

If it's a radon vent, it ain't working if the pipe is full of water.

Either way, it stands to reason that there is a blockage of some sort that needs to be cleared, once cleared, the water should dissipate on it's own.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

A product like the one in the link below will pump the water out. You need a drill and 2 garden hoses...

You still need to figure out wht the pipe is for.....

http://www.nextag.com/Flotec-Drill-2...41/prices-html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvz3752M60s
    Last edited by Gizmo; 10-12-2011 at 08:41 AM. Reason: added video
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Apparently, the sewer cleaning spe******ts(RR)don't pump out pipes in Virginia, they unclog them. This is what they told me 15 mins. before they were to arrive yesterday for the appointment I made with them a week ago. And I specifically described what was needed when I made the appt. Oh well, it's only a day off from work for me. And also the small pumps like the ones referred to can only pump out up to 20 ft or so of standing water and my pipe is over 30 ft long. Already had a plumber try one of those pumps. So now another plumber will try to scope it, even though its full of liquid just to make sure it's not part of the drain system. If not he'll drill a tap into the bottom (break out a wall first)and drain the pipe. Hope this works.