+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Cool Re: Women and girls in the Home Depot commercials

I guess I haven't seen enough commercials because I only remember one, teen ager painting a room and one wife/girlfriend painting the living room. But I've seen just as many women going in to buy carpet, walking up and down the nursery isles, taking clinic lessons, and sitting with the kitchen designers.

I think their supposition that women are more concerned about design and color is supported by these commercials but you only have to turn on HGTV, the DIY network, TLC and Discovery to see that many many women are in on the whole project both as teachers/hosts as well as first time diyers.

If you don't like the focus group/advertiser's target audience in those commercials, then don't frequent that store.
    Debby in Oklahoma

Default Re: Women and girls in the Home Depot commercials

Quote Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
    As for the commercial I think that most men find women and girls covered in paint to be sexy and sexy sells. It has no deeper message as I can understand it.
    As for the issue of the capabilities of men and women I don't believe the women inability to fix the sink is the reason they ask the men to do it, as I understand myself and other friends it is more related to the issue of getting help, of being a team, of making a little happy fuss with someone.
    I can relate to this post
    http://www.myinternaldesign.com/how-...deling-22.html

It has nothing to do with the technical abilities and everything to do with relationships.
    You're right, it has nothing to do with capabilities. She says "Do it", he doses it and she tells him what he's doing wrong. Work ethics do appear to be different between men and women however. If a play set for the children needs to be put up, a guy will get three of his buddies, spend 3 days, and go through 3 six packs to get the job done right. On the other hand if a woman does the job she gets three of her friends to help, they put it up in an hour while discussing the latest fashions, their friend who is not there, take care of their children, and work on next weeks menu. Women ask men to do the job because it keeps them out of their hair for 3 days.
    Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 03-18-2008 at 03:52 PM.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Jim, you made me laugh again!

Home Depot now does have another commercial with a woman working on her house but she’s painting again! And it doesn’t look like she prepped the surface properly. I cringe when I see that. I want to see a woman building a deck or putting in a paver patio or something like that.

I love Hometime, too. I like the teamwork between the Dean and Miriam and I like that she gets in there and does the same stuff the guys do.

You know what? They need a woman on TOH. She can work alongside the guys and tell them when they are doing it wrong. (That one’s for you, Jim!) I am available for this job. Just let me know….

Darn Sherry, you changed my name, how do you expect to be taken seriously?
    Jack

Hay Sherry, here's an add showing a woman on the work sight. http://youtube.com/watch?v=TwC7zJrzSw8 notice how much work the men get done.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by debbysewn View Post
    I think their supposition that women are more concerned about design and color is supported by these commercials but you only have to turn on HGTV, the DIY network, TLC and Discovery to see that many many women are in on the whole project both as teachers/hosts as well as first time diyers.
    No disrespect Debby , but I wouldn't use television shows as a reference point . You better believe that a lot of research goes into targeting certain groups with advertising . While I'll agree that a lot of women get involved in home improvement projects , the vast majority ARE more concerned with painting , wallpaper and other aesthetics . I'll guarantee that their market research supports that . They spend millions on advertising and they spend it where they will get the most bang for the buck .

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Hay Sherry, here's an add showing a woman on the work sight. http://youtube.com/watch?v=TwC7zJrzSw8 notice how much work the men get done.
    Jack
    Ok, enough fantasy, Jack. This is the REAL world.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Well I was hoping my video link was either Sherry or Debby.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Well I was hoping my video link was either Sherry or Debby.
    Jack
    At the end of that clip, was it you or Canuk that was having the naughty thoughts?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

That would have to be Canuk, it's been a while since I was that young. A couple more years and I qualify for "dirty old man" status.
    Jack