+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Women and girls in the Home Depot commercials

It is just me or are any other ladies out there kind of irritated that the commercials for Home Depot only show the girls and women painting things but not fixing anything? There's the commercial where the cute little boy and his dad fix the sink. Then there's the commercial where the girl paints her room. Then there's the other commercial where a bunch of women pick out paint colors. Why don't they ever show the girls and women with a hammer or a wrench? The subtle (or not so subtle) message still being sent out is that fixing things is a man's job. Well, the vast majority of women will be single as some point in their adult lives so it behooves all women to learn at least basic home repair and maintenance. And even if you decide not to tackle some of the bigger jobs at least you will know enough to make an informed choice when hiring someone. So Home Depot please quit telling me that I can't do anything but paint. I will say that I am quite pleased to see that on Ask This Old House they do get the women homeowners as involved as the guys. Thanks! I have learned a lot from your show and have fixed many things around my house. Keep up the good work.

Thumbs up Re: Women and girls in the Home Depot commercials

I afree they should show women with a toolbelt, hanging drywall or building a deck. Women are as capable as men to not only repair a home, but gut a home down to the studs, move walls, and rebuild from the basement up. I am in the process of remodeling right now. I will post pictures as I begin to finish each room. dseep

Default Re: Women and girls in the Home Depot commercials

I think you ladies will love The Women of This Old House. Click on that link, or run a search for it on thisoldhouse.com.

Thumbs up Re: Women and girls in the Home Depot commercials

As a former owner of a mid-size building company and plumbing company and presently working with property owners as a hands on home improvement coach I couldn't agree with you more.
    I find that even amoung couples, women are are often taking the lead or sharing the role in both the planing and every physical aspects of projects. Single women represent a significant percentange of home owners. Many of them have become residential property turn-a-round spe******ts by using the skills they have learned from their own projects. Some of the best profesional builders and sub-contractor in the country are managed by women.
    I think most supply companies including Home Depot realize the above but don't see the importance that their advertising has in developing misleading stereo-types.
    After all, through out history women have worked side by side men clearing the land and building their homes and if required doing it by themself.

Smile Re: Women and girls in the Home Depot commercials

As a former owner of a mid-size building company and plumbing company and presently working with property owners as a hands on home improvement coach I couldn't agree with you more.
    I find that even amoung couples, women are are often taking the lead or sharing the role in both the planing and every physical aspects of projects. Single women represent a significant percentange of homeowners. Many of them have become residential property turn-a-round spe******ts by using the skills they have learned from their own projects. Some of the best profesional builders and sub-contractors in the country are women.
    I think most supply companies including Home Depot realize the above but don't see the importance that their advertising has in developing misleading stereo-types.
    After all, through out history women have worked side by side men clearing the land and building their homes and if required, doing it by themself.

That's one of the things that I've always loved about the TV show "Hometime" (with no disrespect intended towards TOH ). It is a man and woman team that hosts the show and they work side by side on all aspects of the property repair. It also shows the viewing audience that you don't have to hire a battery of contractors to tackle a great number of repairs and remodels, though they make it perfectly clear that professionals should be consulted and hired when needed.

Back in the early days of TOH, it was geared to DIY. It evolved into more of a "hire a contractor" type show, with just enough enticing tidbits to hold the attention of the audience. It is refreshing that the show itself is swinging back to more hands on homeowner stuff, as well as the new ATOH, where the homeowner is encouraged to learn and do repairs themselves.

SherryH I think you misunderstand. It's not a case of discrimination it's a case of economics. If a woman needs and electric screwdriver of a job she buys an electric screwdriver, where as if a man needs an electric screwdriver for a job he buys a 93 piece battery powered tool set with 4 batteries and a recharger, a 900 piece driver point accessory kit, a rolling tool cabinet to hold every thing, and a coffee mug and a baseball cap with the manufacturers logo on it. Maybe you shouldn't be to quick to be sucked in.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Actually , it's really just a matter of demographics . Their research probably shows that more women paint their bedrooms than hang drywall . I would tend to agree with that . They are
    in the business to make money , not change society .

To JLMCDANIEL
    Your reply made me laugh out loud! Thanks for the laugh!

To djohns
    The demographics are that about half the population is women. Statistics show that women initiate or are the driving force in the majority of home improvement projects.

When I was growing up the boys took shop and the girls took home economics. When I became a single female homeowner I had never handled many power tools. Home Depot had a wonderful "get to know your tools" series of seminars aimed at women but open to everyone. When I finished the tools seminars I reroofed my house (2 story, 10/12 pitch, 40 squares, and multiple dormers).

If more women saw other women tackling home improvement and repair projects that used to be considered “men’s work” then they would be more apt to take on more projects themselves (and spend more money at the home improvement centers)! But the thought has to first be planted in their mind that fixing something or building something is something that they can do. It really does bother me that the message being sent out in these commercials is that fixing things really isn’t something that women can or should do.

As for the commercial I think that most men find women and girls covered in paint to be sexy and sexy sells. It has no deeper message as I can understand it.
    As for the issue of the capabilities of men and women I don't believe the women inability to fix the sink is the reason they ask the men to do it, as I understand myself and other friends it is more related to the issue of getting help, of being a team, of making a little happy fuss with someone.
    I can relate to this post
    http://www.myinternaldesign.com/how-...deling-22.html

It has nothing to do with the technical abilities and everything to do with relationships.
    Last edited by Gloria; 03-18-2008 at 07:06 AM.