+ Reply to Thread

Question Stacked stone basement insulation advice - Canada

Hello,
    I did not find any threads using the search functions so I thought I would throw this question out there. How do I insulate a +100 year old stone (limestone) foundation to limit heat loss (in Winnipeg, Manitoba)? I have come across conflicting advice and am unsure of what to do ... closed cell foam, blue board, pink, etc. Any comments would be appreciated.

Regards,
    Al

PS some additional details ....
    -exterior re-parged, water proofed (though I am questioning the permeability of this as it occurred 15 years ago) and weeping tiles installed
    -interior weeping tiles installed with water proof membrane at base of wall, deep (4') perforated sump, poly barrier under new basement floor ... just completed
    -clay soils
    -above ground temp range 35C+ --> -35C

Default Re: Stacked stone basement insulation advice - Canada

Any advice out there? Thanks again.

Regards,
    Al

Default Re: Stacked stone basement insulation advice - Canada

Quote Originally Posted by laverda_jota View Post
    Hello,
    I did not find any threads using the search functions so I thought I would throw this question out there. How do I insulate a +100 year old stone (limestone) foundation to limit heat loss (in Winnipeg, Manitoba)? I have come across conflicting advice and am unsure of what to do ... closed cell foam, blue board, pink, etc. Any comments would be appreciated.

Regards,
    Al

PS some additional details ....
    -exterior re-parged, water proofed (though I am questioning the permeability of this as it occurred 15 years ago) and weeping tiles installed
    -interior weeping tiles installed with water proof membrane at base of wall, deep (4') perforated sump, poly barrier under new basement floor ... just completed
    -clay soils
    -above ground temp range 35C+ --> -35C
    Howdy Al -- looks like the cold is starting in Winterpeg ( though you wouldn't know it by today's temp ).

I'll throw out some thoughts.

First thing is to ensure the exterior of your foundation is indeed water proofed.
    If it's only repointed and parged then I wouldn't consider it water proofed --- even with the new weeping sytsem.
    The Manitoba gumbo clay is extremely harsh on foundations , especially on old stone ones -- and considering the extreme changes in wetness two summers ago and the dryness this past summer. This has and does cause a lot of foundation movement and with the way your foundation is constructed there could very well be some hairline cracks in the mortar and parging.
    Unless a water proof membrane is applied to the exterior surface of the wall such as an elastromeric coating that is flexiable to bridge those cracks or a dimple product --there is a chance of moisture infiltration.
    Now , you do also have the interior weeping system, but , that means water enters inside then it's directed to your sump pump.

The reason I bring this up , if moisture infiltration occurs into the inside wall surface this creates an undesirable enviroment for any insulation that would be in contact with the damp wall surface. The majority of insulating materials are not in themselves food for mold but rather any wood , paper or any other organic materials are food for mold.
    Secondly, if the walls are damp then insulating materials will have their performance reduced because of the moisture coupling --- in cases you will find frost on the wall during the winter.

With your particular type of wall I would recommend a dimpled product (by Platon , Superseal or Delta) applied over the inside surface of the wall then have closed cell spray foam applied over the dimpled product. I believe there is a company called FWC Systems in Winnipeg that uses and can install the Delta material. Or you could go to Rona and check to see if they sell the Superseal brand.

The advantage of the closed cell spray foam -- because your wall surface is somewhat irregular ( being a stone wall ) it would be simplier to cover ( realitvely speaking ) than rigid foam sheets or even standard batt insulation.
    Unfortunately it's about 3 times the cost compared to batt insulation.

Hopefully this helps.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush