+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Wood Boring Insect Control

I purchased an old pine beam (4" thick finished) planned & cut to fit as a mantle above my brick fireplace. The face of the beam was left as the bark side (removed and cleaned but not cut or planned down) to provide a rustic look. The plank was finished with Stain & Poly. Months later I started to hear a buzzing sound from inside the mantle. A little later I noticed the front (Bark side) is pocked with small holes (about 1/4" ovals) with sawdust in it. They generally don't go too deep as I have probed them with a dental pick tool. What would be your suggestion to repair and rid the wood of the infestation? My biggest fear is that the insects migrate to other places

Default Re: Wood Boring Insect Control

A Sodium Borate solution will take care of the problem, but getting it into the wood now that it is stained and sealed is going to be a problem.

If you can remove the mantle and strip off the sealant, then you can treat it. You can buy a commercial product called Bora-care, it has been used on several TOH projects, or Timbor, or you can make your own solution.

Bora-care is a liquid and the easiest to use, but most expensive. Timbor is a powder and much less expensive and can be mixed with water or a water antifreeze solution. The water antifreeze solution is used in the Bora-care, but if you don't have a rot problem, then the antifreeze (ethylene glycol) is not needed, but it helps speed up penetration.

You can make your own solution by mixing 1 pound of Boric Acid (roach powder) with 1.5 lbs of Borax (laundry booster). Dissolve this in a gallon of heated antifreeze or boiling water. Use a garden sprayer to saturate the beam several times until you get a good penetration.

You can also try spraying the Boric Acid powder directly into the holes but that may not be as successful.

Quote Originally Posted by keith3267 View Post
    You can make your own solution by mixing 1 pound of Boric Acid (roach powder) with 1.5 lbs of Borax (laundry booster). Dissolve this in a gallon of heated antifreeze or boiling water. Use a garden sprayer to saturate the beam several times until you get a good penetration.
    Since this is an interior, decorative piece, I would only use the water and skip the antifreeze, as it is both toxic and may cause staining or affect refinishing the mantle later.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I'd be tempted to remove the mantle and perform the insect killing treatments in a garage with the mantle wrapped in plastic to keep your new housemates from finding greener pastures once the treatments start.

The mantle should fit into a king sized mattress bag (or smaller) which can be purchased from U-haul for $4.95 They also have zip lock style mattress bags if you want to fumigate your mantle. As far as I know, insects can't breathe carbon dioxide. Some dry ice and water would be fun revenge.

Thumbs up Re: Wood Boring Insect Control

Thanks to all for their suggestions. I'll be working on the solution.