+ Reply to Thread

Default Im broke and need advice to do it myself

I think my breather pipe might be cloged with something, all of sudden the shower won't drain correct, it takes it about a hour or two to let all of the water out. I've run hand snakes down the drains and come back fine. the house is 50 to 60 years old and is all cast iron pipe, every p trap has it own breather pipe going up, and only one coming out on the roof. Dosn't seem to be a problem with any other drains. what is the best way for me to try and clear the breather pipes? Like I said I'm broke and would like to fix this myself. Thanks for any advise.

Default Re: Im broke and need advice to do it myself

Chances are it's a stoppage in the drain line. Vents do get plugged but not very often. A small hand snake won't do the job in old cast iron lines. What needs to be done is snake the line with a larger power machine. Which is not advisable for a DIY to try.

John

Does your drain gurgle when the water is going down?

If yes - that is a sign the vent is clogged as the air from the drain line has to pass the water going down.

If no- then it is much more likely to be a drain line clog as John said.

Try to run a snake thru the roof. Have a snake long enough down the line.

If you can handle the job and to minimize the cost, rent a snake for the day. Just don't fall off the roof, remember, you're broke and the ER is not free for most of us.

Instead of a snake, try using a garden hose. It is more flexible, longer and if you hit a clog, you can turn on the water and blast it.

Quote Originally Posted by keith3267 View Post
    Instead of a snake, try using a garden hose. It is more flexible, longer and if you hit a clog, you can turn on the water and blast it.
    if he all ready has a drainage trouble water is not the answer it will just add to his headace that he all ready has try an high powered air pump

Quote Originally Posted by daniel ray View Post
    if he all ready has a drainage trouble water is not the answer it will just add to his headace that he all ready has try an high powered air pump
    A garden hose will work, I have done that. The garden hose will usually punch through any clog without any water pressure to help.

My suggestion is to find the cleanout port somewhere in the foundation. The clog will more likely be in a horizontal section of the pipe. Run the garden hose the length of the horizontal section.

That is a nice idea to solve the problem in your garden. Thanks for the tip.