+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Skim coat

Default Skim coat

I recently removed wallpaper from our kitchen which had wallpaper behind it and badly damaged walls. I skim coated the walls and have sanded but I know there are imperfections that are hard to see but will show up once I paint. Is there a special primer that I can paint on first that will highlight these flaws so I can spackle to make all smooth prior to painting? I don't know what color we are going with yet but it will be on the lighter side so the primer can't be dark.

Thanks!
    Jen

Default Re: Skim coat

Sweep or vacuum the wall down to remove most of the dust from sanding. Hold a light near the surface of the wall and then sight down the wall in combination of wiping your hand over the surface, looking and feeling for imperfections. Mark each with a pencil. From there it's either a touch more sanding at each location or a touch more filling with a light sanding afterward.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

If you skim coated with dry wall compound, you can coat the walls with PVA primer. You can pick up PVA primer at most big box stores or paint stores. I prefer primming then using the light as described above.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

With all the patching, your walls will probably not look good with only one finish coat in any event. Go ahead and paint the first color coat. The blemishes will be obvious. Then do your touch up patches. After sanding, spot prime them. Then give them a light coat of the finish coat. After that has dried, coat the entire wall.

Glossier finishes are much more unforgiving than dull finishes. Dark colors also show imperfections more than light colors.

Spruce's suggestion about shining a light down the wall is helpful. Also, if you know where your room lighting, such as table lamps or sconces, will be located, place a light source there to highlight imperfections.

I would frequently advise customers to use "Post-It Notes" on flaws that they see in the evening artificial light that really bug them. Such areas are often difficult to see by daylight and I might possibly miss them.

Thank you all! Great feedback!!

One thing bears mentioning. If you're going to texture the walls, they do not need to be baby's behind smooth because the texture is going to cover up any imperfections.

If you're going for a baby behind smooth finish, keep in mind that this type of wall shows dings, scratches, and other normal use blemishes more than a textured wall will.
    Last edited by A. Spruce; 10-11-2011 at 06:21 PM.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Should I then consider texturing a "baby's smooth behind"? Just think of all the work I could have saved!

Quote Originally Posted by ordjen View Post
    Should I then consider texturing a "baby's smooth behind"? Just think of all the work I could have saved!
    For that you'd need crack spackle.