+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Shower Diverter not working

Greetings All,

I'm having trouble stopping the water flow from the tub faucet when the shower is running. I tried replacing the diverter and this only made the problem worst even though I used the same manufacturer.

I'm using a low-flow hand-held shower head. Does this affect how the diverter works?

Thanks

Default Re: Shower Diverter not working

Most diverters are merely a little flap that is pulled into the water stream of the tub spout. They do not seal, they just create enough back pressure to push the water up to the shower head. A low flow head is restricted so that not as much water will flow through the head - hence "low flow", which can cause the diverter to leak more than it would with a standard type shower head.

There are in the wall type diverters that is part of the plumbing and an actual valve on the tub spout that shuts off flow completely, diverting all water and pressure to the shower head. To install something like this would entail opening the wet wall and replacing the shower valve.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

If the diverter is in your faucet, you have two options: replace the body (messy and expensive with labor and material) or install a new spout with a built in diverter.

If the diverter is in the spout, replace the spout.

Some faucets have 3 handles, in which case it's easy just to replace the deverter stem.

I'm also having this problem. I have a Delta one-knob with a stem-style diverter. I replaced the diverter, but water still runs heavily out of the faucet when the shower is engaged. Any advice would be appreciated.

Danny,

Read the above answers. Try a new spout with a diverter.