+ Reply to Thread

Default Your personal experience w/ vent hood filters

Hi all....

I'm starting some early research into what I want to put above my stove for venting purposes. Right now, there is nothing. I plan to have a custom hood made. With that being said, I am looking at inserts.

I would like to know peoples experiences with the filtering systems between the aluminum mesh style filters, the stainless steel baffle style filters, and the vent-a-hood magic lung filter. Has anyone here used at least 2 of these so that you can give your comparison? Does it draw up the cooking vapors well? Is it loud? How easy to clean the different filter types? Pros? Cons?

The vent-a-hood systems appears that it could be the easiest to clean, but it is also the most expensive coming in at just under $1000.

Thanks....I'll check back in tonight to see if anyone chimed in.
    peace,
    Sophie

Default Re: Your personal experience w/ vent hood filters

To be honest, I've never paid that much attention to the filter screens themselves. Whatever came in the hood is what gets used. IMHO, what's important about a hood vent is that it vent whatever steam, heat, or odors are coming from the cooktop, as long as it does that, everyone is happy.

The purpose of the filter is to catch most of the grease and oils in the air stream so that they don't collect inside the ducting and cause a fire hazard. In that respect I'm guessing the mesh style filter would work better than straight louver type filters. All filter types are easy enough to clean, simply soak in some dishwasher detergent for a while then rinse. If you wanted to you could run it through the dishwasher afterward for more cleaning.

Unless you do a lot of deep frying, most screens don't have to be cleaned that often.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Default Re: Your personal experience w/ vent hood filters

For me, a good hood is this kind:

1. Fast powerful, dual motors, restaurant grade, the kind that can run at 950 plus CFM. Your low end motors only run at 200 CFM or less.

2. Easy to clean/change/find filter system, or no filter at all. In that case, the parts that catch the grease are easily removed and cleaned.

3. Attractive, quiet and reasonably priced.

About 4 years ago, I was tired and fed up with my old hood (Broan). It was noisy, slow and hard to clean. A friend recommended a manufacturer's store in Chinatown (near downtown LA) which carries a full line of those restaurant type hoods. I picked a stainless steel one for under $600, complete with two-1W LED lights, two motors w/two switches, and it has been doing an amazing job ever since. Sometimes I think it's a Lexus, not a hood.