+ Reply to Thread

Default Could you give advice on a leaking lead pipe supply line?

I have a lead pipe supply line that has pin hole leaks. I don't have the money to replace this supply line, but when I'm working again it will need to be replaced. Until I'm working again i was hoping to find a way to temporarily repair it.

I have used a small hammer and tapped the pin holes and this would close the pin hole holes somewhat, but the leaking returns over time.

Could i wrap the lead pipe where it is leaking with rubber cut from a tire inner tube and tighten it down with a stainless steel pipe clamp/ Band Clamp?
    I understand that the lead pipe is soft and i wouldn't want to over tighten it. This would only be a temporary repair until I'm working again. The lead supply line comes off the main and would need to be dug up outside to turn off the water to it when replaced.

I would appreciate any help you can give me and i tried to post some photos, but it didn't upload.
    Last edited by markcal02; 10-16-2011 at 11:42 PM. Reason: too vague

Default Re: Could you give advice on a leaking lead pipe supply line?

Mark, you don't say whether this is inside or outside, and where you live (climate). If the pipe is in an area not subject to freezing, replacing the section with pvc and compression sleeves would be a temporary fix. In many areas, pvc would be an acceptable replacement pipe anyway.

Default Re: Could you give advice on a leaking lead pipe supply line?

This post has been asked and answered may times on this and other forums.

John