+ Reply to Thread

Question Half Tile & Half floating floor?

Can a glued Pergo floor (10 years old) be cut down the middle, half ripped and out and then put down tile? I will getting a new kitchen island with a different configuration leaving large gaps since the floor was put in after the island. They no longer make that glued type of flooring and color. Or do I have to rip the whole thing out? Does anyone know what comes first?, the island or the floor? If I can't afford a new floor now but maybe next year, what should I do? Thank you for your time.:
    Last edited by Mauiblue; 10-07-2011 at 07:36 AM. Reason: grammar

Default Re: Half Tile & Half floating floor?

Welcome Malibu,

If you have wood framing -

The first thing you should do is check to see if your floor will support tile at all. Measure the floor joist size (h & w) and the unsupported span. Then head on over to the John Bridge Tile Forum and use their deflecto-lator to determine if the floor joists are adequate for tile. Then measure the thickness and determine the type of subflooring (plywood usually) Start a thread at the JB forum.

If you have a concrete slab -

Be concerned about height issues. How thick is the old wood flooring. Tile + thinset usually comes in right close to 1/2" or a little less. You'll also need an expansion joint around the tile perimeter to the wood and any fixed objects.

Yes, you can remove half the floor and install tile, you'll simply install a T molding over the gap left between the two. As to whether to tile or cabinet first, this is a highly debated topic that is a personal preference, it can be done either way and there are advantages and disadvantages to both methods.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thank you for taking the time to help me with my question. Greatly appreciated!