+ Reply to Thread

Default Infilling basement walkout door.

I have a home that recently flooded and want to fix the flooding potential by turning a walk out door into a window. I have a poured foundation wall that I would like to infill bottom half of door opening with concrete and rebar. The question is.. will the concrete infill, with rebar tying into existing foundation, hold up to pressure of backfilling with soil? Whats going to happen when ground freezes in winter time? I live in Fargo ND.
    See attached drawing
    Thanks in advance!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DOOR INFILL.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	7.4 KB 
ID:	2335  

Default Re: Infilling basement walkout door.

Howdy sounds like you need to dowel the existing foundation and pour an 8" stem wall upto the opening for the perposed window. Assuming the basement is cement foundation walls you can rent a hammer drill and drill at 45 degree 8 to 12"into the sidedes make it 1/2" holes so you can put rebar into the holes 6" above the floor and every 16" would my suggestion. On the slab same thing drill 3 evenly spaced holes and insert rebar and tie all horizonal and verticle together.Then form and pour the cement. The important aspect will then to be sealing the ouside area so no leakage between the new and old concrete. I'd use a good concrete caulking and then tar or for more bucks install a water proofing membreane Assuming this area would then be back filled to the window grade..or higher if you install a window well.

thanks, I just want to make sure the earth outside will not create pressure and buckle the rebar pushing the new wall in.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Miller View Post
    Assuming the basement is cement foundation walls you can rent a hammer drill and drill at 45 degree 8 to 12"into the sidedes make it 1/2" holes so you can put rebar into the holes 6" above the floor and every 16" would my suggestion. On the slab same thing drill 3 evenly spaced holes and insert rebar and tie all horizonal and verticle together.
    I agree however, I would suggest making the holes 5/8" for #4 rebar. You will have a hard time putting #4 bar 8" deep into a 1/2" hole.
    Slow The Flow

This would be best answered by an engineer and your building department since soil conditions play a large part on the stresses of the cold joints that will exist between the new and existing concretes.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush