+ Reply to Thread

Default recent flooding repairs

Hello all,
    I'm new to these discussion boards and I am seeking advice over a resent discussion with a flood insurance adjuster. I will post my original question addressed to this old house:

I have recently been flooded and upon gutting the interior drywall and insulation I couldn't believe my eyes. There is drywall on the exterior of my home behind the brick. It needs to be replaced (with plywood hopefully). My insurance is not willing at this time to pay for the removal of the brick to access the damaged drywall. They are giving me $9.00 per sq ft. to address the problem. They are suggesting to remove each wall, replace the sheathing, and put it back up again without touching the brick. Is this right? How then is the brick tied in? I'm I being ripped off? Please offer some advice.

Thanks

Default Re: recent flooding repairs

You need someone knowledgeable with brick and wall repair as you describe to talk with you and your adjuster together. I can tell you it's going to cost you a whole lot more than $9 per foot to get it repaired correctly. You probably won't get full replacement value - insurance rarely ever does - but they will work with you to get your home repaired to the best that your coverage allows.

I've done a fair amount of flood work, and each time I had to educate the adjuster as to exactly how much work was involved to restore the property. We never got full replacement value, but we did get the reimbursement up to at least cover necessities.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks A. Spruce for your input. $9.00 per sq ft didnít sound right to me. Let me ask another question: should that price matter to the insurance whether or not I repair or demo and rebuild? In other words, if I decide to demo and rebuild will they look at that and say, well since you are not having it repaired why give any more money towards it. That probably sounds stupid but thatís the impression I got from the adjuster. My thoughts are pay for the damage and let me decide what I do after that. Is my thinking wrong?

My experience has been that the adjuster estimates the repair cost, minus depreciation and deductible, and issues you a check for the remaining amount. For example, say the repair costs are $10K, but the age of the home/remodeled section is 10 years old which only entitles you to a 90% reimbursement for repair. Now, if you've also got a $1000 deductible, that is going to leave you with $8000 for your repair, even though the actual cost will be $10K. The insurance company is only going to give you the $8000 and they don't care what you do with the money or how the structure is repaired.

Now, here's the catch. Insurance companies do not want to pay out, so they purposely look for ways to give you as little as possible. This is where having an experienced contractor to work with the adjuster on your behalf is essential. Get bids from several local contractors and choose the one that will do the work, then have them work with you and the adjuster to get you the maximum amount you deserve. Sometimes adjusters don't know any better, sometimes they're working from directives of the home office, but when you call them out (nicely ), they usually are fairly easy going about the reimbursement amount.

Also, keep in mind that once you accept the insurance pay-off, the likelihood of getting any more out of them is extremely slim. This, again, is why you have the contractor there during the discussions with the adjuster.

Sorry for the rambling, new things came to mind as I wrote them down.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!