+ Reply to Thread

Default Squirrels are living between floors

HELP!! I did a major renovation on my 100-year old house 2 years ago. While the work was being done, the squirrels left. Now they're back with a vengence, between the first and second floors, where I can't get to them. I can hear them chewing on beams; they've made their way underneath my bathtub; they're making me crazy.

How can I get rid of these things?

Default Re: Squirrels are living between floors

It's a tough situation.
    I think that poisoning them is an option, but not the best one because you don't want them dead in that space, stinking up the house. You want to get them out.
    How about trying to lure them out first, for snacks better than beams (nuts or peanut butter) and then trying to trap them or eliminate them once they venture outside?

Just as important is: how are they getting in and what do you need to do to keep them out? I saw an ATOH a few years back that used one way doors to get an animal out from under a porch. I agree that not having dead sqirrels in your floor is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    It's a tough situation.
    I think that poisoning them is an option, but not the best one because you don't want them dead in that space, stinking up the house. You want to get them out.
    How about trying to lure them out first, for snacks better than beams (nuts or peanut butter) and then trying to trap them or eliminate them once they venture outside?
    You're right about poisoning them, but I'm almost ready to try anything. As far as the food goes, that's how it all started. One of my family members used to sit on the back porch and feed them peanuts.

Quote Originally Posted by ed21 View Post
    Just as important is: how are they getting in and what do you need to do to keep them out? I saw an ATOH a few years back that used one way doors to get an animal out from under a porch. I agree that not having dead sqirrels in your floor is a good thing.
    They're coming in through holes they've chewed at each corner of the house, where the gutters meet. If I close up those holes, will they just chew new ones? They get to the gutters by running across the phone and cable lines.

Is it possible to cover where they like to chew holes with aluminum trim? I never knew a squirrel to chew through metal.
    Nix-a-lite makes a number of products to control nuisance animals on buildings. They may have something that could help.
    Spray repellents could possibly help.
    Most poisons make the animal thirsty so they leave looking for water.
    Try to thin the population by trapping or otherwise getting rid of them. Any decent air rifle can kill a squirrel. Use your best judgement as to legality and safety.