+ Reply to Thread

Default Change Recirculating Vent To Exterior Vent

My range hood is the kind that recirculates air, why anyone ever thinks this is a good idea is beyond me. It keeps heat in the house, blows hot air in your face as you cook, and doesn't get ride of smells. I want to convert this to an exterior vent but i'm not sure what this involves. I was planning on running the duct work through the existing sofit above the cabinets, about 8 feet total but i'm not sure if there are any code rules/best practices for this and what i might need to buy. I'm already planning on buying a new vent hood, duct work, and the damper opening that goes on the outside of the wall. Anything else?

Default Re: Change Recirculating Vent To Exterior Vent

If you install your new hood, run the vent straight up and thru the roof, seal all connections, install flashing and cap the opening - you will meet all codes.

But if you are planning to vent thru the exterior wall, consult your local code, you may have some restrictions on horizontal venting.

I have a bedroom right above so straight up is not an option. I will try to look up local codes.

Does anyone know if any building codes exist for this in the Philadelphia, PA area?

Unless you hate your existing hood (looks and/or controls ), you may be able to convert it to an exterior vent without replacement. Most hoods that I've worked with can be either an internal or external vent, you can also duct them out the back or up through the top, depending on your needs.

There shouldn't be any problem with a horizontal vent, but it never hurts to check with your building department or consult with a few HVAC shops and ask them what the local codes are concerning horizontal venting.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!