+ Reply to Thread

Default Sound Proofing Solutions

Living in a row home between an older couple that has to turn the tv very loud to hear and a bar with a wonderful jukebox that everyone seems to love.....Talk about noisy neighbors. Aside from the fact that the couple frequently falls asleep with the tv on and their bedroom is next to mine, noise is an issue. Built around 1920, the majority of the house is uninsulated with lathe and plaster and i'm looking for options.

I've heard of sound dampening board to layer on top of existing wall, special types of insulation, and systems such as resilient channels or staggered studding.

I'm reaching out to see if anyone has any experience in a row-home environment with making the noise stop. Keep in mind im willing to reframe walls but most likely the electrical in these existing walls is either dredged into the shared brick firewall or has firring strips, im not sure which method.

Default Re: Sound Proofing Solutions

There are ways to reduce the problem: better soundproof drywall system and/or asking your neighbors to kindly install a timer on their TV in case they fall asleep with the TV on.

Re-doing your drywall is something you can do and is not terribly expensive.

I once built a home close to a freeway, and to combat the constant traffic noise we installed such drywalls. The result was satisfactory and I'm sure that today's soundproof drywall is even improved.

The best thing you can do is to move to a quieter house. Barring that, if you're willing to strip the walls to bare stud, you can use spray foam insulation to knock back most of the noise, then two layers of drywall (mass = sound absorption ). If you don't want to open the walls, then use a fiber insulation board with resilient channel and drywall.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I've verified that the wall is nothing more than plaster covering brick so I can't strip to studs because I assume I have to build out the wall. I'm afraid that just layering over with drywall won't do much so I may just build a 2x4 wall to give some nice space for insulation. Does this mean I have to cut out part of the hardwood floor for the bottom plate of can I just go right on top? Any additional tips for this padded out wall or am i getting into overkill here?

Plater and lathe already absorbs sound better than drywall. But layers of varying materials can make a difference.

You could add studs and then 2 layers of drywall on top of that.
    1925 Two-Story Stucco Beaux Arts Neoclassical

Rockwool insulation is reported to be a good sound barrier. You would build a 2x4 framed wall, but do not let the studs touch the brick or plaster. A small space should do, just so that vibrations of the brick are not transfered to the studs. Then fill with rockwool and cover with 5/8" sheetrock or a sound resistant drywall.

I wound up building a 2x4 framed wall 1inch away from the existing wall in my bedroom. I used Roxul brand sound insulation with a layer of homasote sound board covered with a half inch layer of drywall. Acoustical caulking around the edges and its wonderfully quiet from the side with the tv problem.

The music from the bar, however is still a nuissance and im pretty much out of options. I dont have the funds to build this kind of sound wall along the entire length of my house which may or may not work since the joists may also be carrying the low frequencies from the music. The owner doesnt seem to be as open to discuss a solution since he hasnt been returning my phone calls and i dont think they are violating any ordinances since i dont think the volume is loud enough for a noise violation but it certainly effects my quality if living since i can only get a good nights sleep by sleeping in the back bedroom which is detached from the shared wall but thats 2 bedrooms wasted. Im just really stuck here.