+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Under Floor Radiant Heat

I have a Radiant heat (Boiler) to gain extra space we are considering changing the wall radiators into under floor radiant heat. My question is since some of the wood floors have been in there since the house was built in the 50's. I am guessing there is 1x2's between the subfloor and the floor boards. Would the the traditional retrofit options like Wirsbo Joist Trak to be installed from the basement. Would it provide enough contact to transfer the heat through? I know in the kitchen/bath were the floor is resting on the subfloor it would work. Just not sure about the oak floors.

Default Re: Under Floor Radiant Heat

I had radiant heat in Northern California and loved it; now I have noisy, hot water heat, but better than forced hot air heat.

When I see something like this, $10,000 comes to mind ?
    Why ? We normal people don't get Mike Holmes or Richard Thulhe doing our projects, or TOH or HGTV providing free design or contractor management services.

Your project is too specialized for the run-of-the-mill installer, and if you find a good one, he's/she's not begging for work by underpricing it. I'm a bit jaded because the good ones, if you can find them, aren't that much more expensive (but wait 3 months for scheduling). I'm more used to pay standard rates to hacks who says they're pros, so I now find the subs (who are mostly latino) who get half of the money that went to contractors (but you pays your money and takes your chances).

In case my figure is right, ask about baseboard hotwater heating as a Plan B. Maybe there's more people who won't scratch their heads about the project.

Default Re: Under Floor Radiant Heat

i could be wrong but i don't think Brookworld answered any part of your question.

i don't know alot about radiant heat but what i do know is that you want the radiant heat to have direct access to the floor it's heating without any airspace between. from your description you have a subfloor with a hardwood floor attached to it. radiant heating will work from the basement side but wood disapates heat quickly, meaning that once the furnace stops working, the oak flooring will cool quickly as opposed to tile or concrete which will keep warm longer. this is a question for a radiant heating expert as opposed to a standard plumber. call the company that manufactures the radiant heat and they shold be able to answer your questions better (probably) than anyone on here.