+ Reply to Thread

Default Can/Recessed Lighting In Flat Roof Space

The front of my house use to have a porch with a flat roof and the previous owners converted the porch to living space. I want to insulate and put can/recessed lights for this area but i'm not sure how to treat it since it is so far uninsulated and is a roof area and i'm afraid of causing condensation from the heat of the lighting and the winter cold from the roof. What is the general direction for accomplishing this?

Default Re: Can/Recessed Lighting In Flat Roof Space

well generally speaking, in our area (wisconsin) you are gonna want a vapor barrier on the whole room. walls, ceiling, anything next to an outide air. So not sure if you have this done. Id cut the lights in and buy some that are raterd for being next to insullation. TC i think?? been awhile since ive bought cans.. cut em in and burry em with insulation.

IC stands for insulation contact.

Look for IC when purchasing your can lights. Also look for ones that are air sealed, so all your nice headed air doesn't escape through the light fixtures.

Running the wires should be fun.

Does this meet requirements? I checked for IC, air tight and it has the bonus of being energy saving LED

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

From here that looks like it will work. Cooper, Halco and a number of manufacturers make suitable units.

Generally they typical incandescent bases can be outfitted with the newer LED dimmable bulbs, so using an ordnary base will save some money. Those bulbs run about $35 from Home Burrito and come with an integrated trim.