+ Reply to Thread

Thread: powere sander

Cool powere sander

Does anyone have a tip on how to keep my "skill sander" from losing the belt?
    Everytime I use the sander the sand paper keeps slipping out of the rollers>
    Thanks,
    Joe V.

Default Re: powere sander

adjust the tension and keep an eye on the belt as your working with it.. if it starts to wander stop the sander and adjust it. or buy a better sander. skil is bottom of the barrel with black and decker
    fire up the saw and make some dust

It can also be that the bearings in the rollers are going out, allowing excessive wobble in the rollers, causing the belt to wander. If you're attached to the belt sander, then take it to a service center and have it checked out. If you're not attached to it, then purchase a new one and go with a quality brand name such as Porter Cable, Bosch, Delta, etc.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Also don't put a lot of down pressure on the sander . Belt sanders are designed to use there own weight to sand.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

while we are on the subject of sanders:

What's the best palm sander for the money?

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    while we are on the subject of sanders:

What's the best palm sander for the money?
    I've got a Porter Cable that's never given me any troubles and works well, though I prefer my DeWalt orbital palm sander because it cuts faster and it's also variable speed. Once the big stuff is down, then the palm sander to finish up is quick and easy. Depending on the project, finishing out with a sanding block will give you a perfect finish, as long as you stick with the grain.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    I've got a Porter Cable that's never given me any troubles and works well, though I prefer my DeWalt orbital palm sander because it cuts faster and it's also variable speed. Once the big stuff is down, then the palm sander to finish up is quick and easy. Depending on the project, finishing out with a sanding block will give you a perfect finish, as long as you stick with the grain.
    I have good experience with a Porter Cable carpenter corded saw (blade on the left side) that I use as a back up saw in tight places (it's smaller and lighter than the Skil and Makita saws that I use all the time).

What about the Makita palm sander?

My old palm sander got to go.

i have a makita, good sander but getting old. had a dewalt and hated it, it was really unbalanced so i sold it after 2 uses... i also have a hitachi which i bought in a bind when i was amidst trimming two houses solo at one time, the pad onthe makita was worn out and didnt have time to get over to get it replaced

my next one will prob be the new bosch 6" which has almost zero vibration
    fire up the saw and make some dust

I like my Bosch sander.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb