+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Granite hummmmm

Default Granite hummmmm

heard it is going to be a thing of the past . Is this true ? People are going to different things now .

Default Re: Granite hummmmm

We install high end kitchens and bathrooms.

Still doing plenty of polished granite, honed granite, & silestone (mostly for the color)

Marble is a bad idea due to staining

Soapstone is very nice but very limited in color choices.

Quote Originally Posted by razzle51 View Post
    heard it is going to be a thing of the past . Is this true ? People are going to different things now .
    Only if you're trying to keep up with whatever the latest "thing" is coming out of interior design circles.

Good quality materials, good workmanship, and classic styling NEVER go out of style, so in that respect, there will always be a market for stone countertops.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

"Designers" have their own agenda to push new products all the time, but granite is here to stay, and so is superb workmanship, as Spruce says.

Very curious where you "heard" this.

Natural stone looks fantastic, and the longest lasting. It's not going anywhere.

I suspect the OP is someone who posts these kinds of statements all over the web, wherever he/she finds a forum about home building materials or decorating. If you see other posts from this person about how hardwood floors are out of date, open floor plans are horrible, and stainless appliances are going out of style, it's the same poster I've seen on other forum boards. Usually the posts are a "hit and run".

What about polished concrete counter tops? I have seen them in a few new homes recently and they are beautiful.

You have many alternatives available to you. At the end of the day you need to decide what your goals are.

Is this your forever kitchen
    Do I care about resale value
    what are my values Natural Stone / man made mix / Eco Friendly

Once you answer these questions you will have a good direction.

People that tell you that granite is a thing of the past are trying to sell competing products or are listening to the propaganda machine for the man made products.

The cost of natural stone has come down due to supply and demand factors and this is a great opportunity to have really nice stone in your home.
    Granite Countertops Experts | Kitchen designer | ICE Instant Countertop Estimator | Granite Website Design System : Hidden Content

More importantly, is granite practical relative to anything else ? and has high performance-to-price ratio ?

Many nice looking materials don't last ? I had Eurostone (I believe a high-end synthetic that can be manufactured for any color and with any design material). Well, after installing, my wife keep telling me to be careful about liquids and hot items.. . . I said, what, I'm not treating it like it is fragile; I'm not going crazy, but it has to handle usual wear & tear, otherwise, why did she choose it ? She took it easier on me after I pushed back.

I now have unsealed slate on my kitchen floor. It was installed 8 years ago by the precious owner -- looks nice, but the rough finish makes it difficult to clean and absorbs liquids like a sponge.

The material has to hold up, and if granite does, it's a keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by t_manero View Post
    More importantly, is granite practical relative to anything else ? and has high performance-to-price ratio ?
    The material has to hold up, and if granite does, it's a keeper.
    I have to agree. Its stone but even stone can stain and react to harsh chemicals heat and UV rays. even if it is so slight.

recommendations.. use trivets, cutting boards, if you spill wine dont try you luck clean it up and love your stone forever
    Granite Countertops Experts | Kitchen designer | ICE Instant Countertop Estimator | Granite Website Design System : Hidden Content