+ Reply to Thread

Default Ceiling Fan Blades

We just setup bunkbeds in my kids room and are worried that the 42" ceiling fan (Harbor Breeze from Lowes) is a little too close to the top bunk.

Does anyone know if it is possible to get smaller blades for these fans? I know I already have a 24" ceiling fan in my wife's walk-in closet, so replacement is an option. I was hoping to buy new blades for this fan.

Another alternative would be to remove the blades and trim them all at once with a band or scroll saw, then weigh to be sure they are balanced. I know the fan will speed up, but we can set it to low and then shorten the pull-chain so it can't be changed speed wise (on-off is via wall switch).

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

John.

Default Re: Ceiling Fan Blades

Is the 10" going to make much of a difference in how close it is to the bunk? I'm guessing probably not if the kids get rambunctious or hang off the side of the bunk, as kids tend to do.

I don't know that I've seen replacement blades available, though If the fan is brand new, it would be cheaper to exchange the fan for a different one than to replace the blades.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I've bought replacement blades (all shapes, colors and sizes)from a place called "Dan's Fan City" (Birmingham,AL) and I suppose there are similar stores elsewhere.

Fan speed shouldn't be a problem but, as was already stated, a child getting hit by a blade might be serious.

Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon,http://thesemi-retiredelectrician.com

A fan balde shield would be helpful, have to build it yerself though

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    A fan balde shield would be helpful, have to build it yerself though
    I prefer to house-proof the child rather than child-proof the house, that way the kids don't go looking for trouble where they shouldn't be. In this situation, for the time being, I'd opt for a box or pedestal fan, something that is not going to provide a point of potential harm for the kids. When they're older and don't have bunkbeds to encourage them to be jumping around the ceiling, then a ceiling fan in the room will be more appropriate.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

as far as fan speed picking up.. that woudnt be an issue. For the money id go buy a new fan.. cheaper and easier than screwing around with cutting the blade and balancing them, unless you have the correct tools and basically like to tinker..