+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pilot Light Too Strong ?

Just had a new Gas valve put on by a professional, and now it seems to me that the pilot light is at least twice as powerful as before, which seems too much to me.

Default Re: Pilot Light Too Strong ?

Looks like the pilot flame is about 3 long. The end of the flame hits a piece of metal then makes a 90 degree turn from blasting against the piece of metal almost like a blow-torch set on medium.

In the past, I couldn't *hear* the furnace pilot unless I was within a couple feet. Now I can hear it 8 feet away.

I took two photos of it, but I can't post on photos until I've made 10 post.

Can't imagine a stronger pilot is a good thing. It's using much more gas all the time, when the furnace isn't running.

The purpose of the flame is to provide the energy needed to operate the gas valve. You can try turnng it down, but make sure the gas valve will still operate when needed. Check with the manufacturer of the valve for the spec on flame size.

It sounds like the flame is hitting what is called a thermocouple which is normal. If your worried about the flame being to big (3 inches is huge) have the tech check the gas pressure, it should be 7 IWC incoming from the street and 3 1/2 IWC on the manifold side, a place to start. Don't mess around with any gas appliance unless your properly trained or you could blow yourself and everyone else in the house up, it's not to be taken likely.
    Last edited by Sten; 09-27-2011 at 01:17 AM.

Thanks for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    You can try turnng it down,...
    Since it was just installed last Friday and cost dearly (of course *after* installing it, the repairman *then* schooled me about how much more efficient a whole new furnace would be). I think the repairman should come back to adjust it *if* needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sten View Post
    It sounds like the flame is hitting what is called a thermocouple which is normal.
    Unless there are 4 thermocouplers, I'm not talking about a thermocoupler. The flame is blasting against one of the 4 metal rails that run from front to back.