+ Reply to Thread

Thread: moss on roof

Default moss on roof

I need to replace my older roof soon. It is covered with moss. I'm told this is due to too many trees and not enough sun. What is the best type shingle that won't allow moss growth? Is a metal roof better? I live in Triangle area of NC. I have a small house under 1000 sq ft.

Default Re: moss on roof

Moss will grow on anything. To rid yourself of the moss, increase the air flow and sunlight.

Moss would attack tin the fastest. Copper would kill the moss, but would be a bit pricy. Slate would be optimal.

It mgiht be worth trimming hte lower branches of hte trees so you get soem sunlight early i ntejh morning and late in hte afternoon to help dry off both sides of the roof. You wnat shade to teh south, but not always on hte east and west. I'm guessing it's the trees on hte east that are the biggest problem. You mgiht if nothing else thin those out.

You don't want to lose too much shade because it's probably making your summer electric bills a lot sheaper.
    1925 Two-Story Stucco Beaux Arts Neoclassical

I spray my roof from time to time with a VERY dilute solution of household bleach. After a day when it turns brown, it seems to hose off quite simply. Please note i have a slate roof and cannot recommend this option for wood shingles etc.,

I've tried the bleach solution over shingles, excpt I used 100% bleach, with great success. I applied it with a simple 1 gallon sprayer. The results were obvious in 20 minutes.

I live in Western Oregon and moss on the roof is the norm, even in full sunshine. I have composite shingles.

There are a couple things that can be done to retard moss growth: attachment of zinc strips high on the roof. The strips will leach zinc down the roof during rain and prevent moss growth. Secondly, there are zinc containing powders which can be scattered across the peaks of the roof. It too will leach zinc down the roof and kill the moss.

If there is a heavy accumulation of moss, it is a good idea to get up there and physically remove the bulk of the moss before treating with chemicals.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    I've tried the bleach solution over shingles, excpt I used 100% bleach, with great success. I applied it with a simple 1 gallon sprayer. The results were obvious in 20 minutes.
    I have a 2-story house (3 stories with a walk-out basement) and the sole earner, so it's not safe for me to be on the roof. Does the bleach stay on the roof or flow to the gutters. My issue is that a bleach solution would need to be caught to prevent flowing into the soil.

Quote Originally Posted by Brookworld View Post
    I have a 2-story house (3 stories with a walk-out basement) and the sole earner, so it's not safe for me to be on the roof. Does the bleach stay on the roof or flow to the gutters. My issue is that a bleach solution would need to be caught to prevent flowing into the soil.
    First let me say that if you can't climb up on your roof, for whatever reason, don't. An accidental fall off the roof can bring you a lot of misery. It will be better to hire an experienced handyman who knows how to walk on roofs.

As far as the bleach treatment, using 100% bleach allows you to spray the moss lightly, so it doesn't run off into the gutters. Sometimes a second application will be needed. Try not to walk on sprayed areas.

How much bleach to use? it depends on the amount of moss you have.