+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Toilet water is being suctined out..Why???

Bought a new toilet and installed it. We opened the valve, the tank and the toilet bowel fill but then the water in the bowl slowly gets suctioned down into he sewer pipe. I have had 2 plumbers to my house. They say that the pipe is under water in a slab of concete and is not getting air (venting problem). I am confused because my old toilet worked.. They tell me that it is because it was a 3.6 gal per flush and it had enough pressure to create a vent. They said that the new toilets (energy saving) don't have enough pressure. The plumbers told me there is no way to fix this problem because breaking up the slab could cause my house to shift.. As you know 3.6 are outlawed.. and my old toilet is in the trash .. I need a black market toilet or a way to fix this. PLEASE HELP!!!

Default Re: Toilet water is being suctined out..Why???

Howdy, no vent stack pipe threw the roof above the toilet? got any other plumbing in area ? Sink? other baths? Are any of these vented? Is this toilet on concrete on ground?
    There are old toilets salgage yards and some plumberthem because of issues like this.
    You could if other plumbing is vented add this toilet to that venting or run new venting pipe down to this toilet. Consider having a restoration contractor out for a bid. Have seen plumbers do these repairs usually in my opinion, for inflaited costs- billing for plumber wage for non plumbing work. But have seen general contractors do many more for far less$.

oh ok thank you there is a sink in the same bathroom and it is on a slab of concrete. I think there is a vent to the pipe but the plumber said it was under water!!! I don't really know what that means.. I will consider a contractor..

Quote Originally Posted by bgirl723 View Post
    I think there is a vent to the pipe but the plumber said it was under water!!! I don't really know what that means.. I will consider a contractor..
    It would be interesting to know how a vent can be under water when the vent is 100% above all drains in the system. If your sewer line were filled with water, then the toilets and sinks would not drain.

The fact that the water in the toilet bowl is vanishing suggests that a vent is blocked. It may be beneficial to have an inspection service come and put a camera down the vent pipes and sewer clean out to find the obstruction.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

If the water is being siphoned very slowly from the bowl, its possible the is something in the toilet itself, could be a piece of paper or packing material. Try running a toilet snake down the toilet.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Hi again. The toilet vent stack pipe could have a blockage, birds nest etc, Consider having the vent pipe snaked and the toilt too to see if this fixes the problem. The cost is slight for snaking the pipes .

i don't know but i do know that the upstairs toilet works.. so what do you think about that????

Quote Originally Posted by bgirl723 View Post
    i don't know but i do know that the upstairs toilet works.. so what do you think about that????
    Could be on a different vent pipe or the vent pipe blockage could be between the upstairs and downstairs toilet if they are on the same vent pipe.

Do you have a ground level vent that is outside the house? My parents house has a ground level vent that comes up from the main sewer pipe as it leaves the basement. They thoughtfully located it right next to the front steps of the house. It's not as bad smelling as you might think, but I always wondered about the placement of it. That was the only vent for many years until Dad and I installed multiple vents at the sink and toilet locations in the house.

thank you everyone

I would say the new toilet is the culprit. Take it back cause something is wrong with it! If the old toilet worked just fine then the new should wrok just fine. As far as the vent being under water
    FIND A NEW PLUMBER!!!!!!!!!