+ Reply to Thread

Exclamation short or loose wire in light switch

When I flip on my kitchen light, sometimes it turns off with the switch still in the on position. I have to wiggle the swith to get it to come back on. I'm pretty sure this is not safe. how do I tighten the wires or fix this? or do I need to replace the whole thing?

Also, it actually has two switches-one for the kitchen and one for the dining room-but only the kitchen switch has this issue.

Default Re: short or loose wire in light switch

More than likely a bad switch . Cheap and easy to replace , AFTER you turn the breaker off that feeds the circuit .

Is there more than one switch that controls the kitchen light?

It's possible that it's only a loose wire at the switch or at the light fixture, it's also possible that the switch itself is bad. Turn off the circuit and tighten the connections at both the switch and the fixture, if that doesn't fix the problem then you'll need to replace the switch. ALWAY turn off the breaker feeding the circuit before working on the wiring. Be safe and live another day.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Make sure the wires are on the screws not in stab connections on the back of the switch.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

When 2 switches operate one light, there will be 3 wires attached to the switch. When you go to replace the switch you need to purchase a 3-way switch. Before removing the old switch, take a picture or make note of which wire goes where on the switch. You should have a black, red and white wire that conduct electricity and a ground wire.

You can have only one dimmer switch (out of the 2 switches) to operate the light as 2 dimmers will be a royal PITA, if they work at all, depending on the switches.

HR, the OP says there are 2 switches in the box one for the kitchen one for the dinning room.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I misread what she meant. Good catch.

To sum it up: if you follow the recommendations mentioned, replacing the switch(s) and attaching the wires correctly, you will solve your problem, and remember, safety first.