+ Reply to Thread

Thread: jim

Default jim

why would my shower in upstairs bath begin to rattle the pipes when it is turned on. It only dose it for a few seconds, like air in the pipes. 2 handle shower controler, apx 20 years old.
    It dosent leek or drip

Default Re: jim

Most likely, one of the valves has a loose washer. You would need to remove the handle, then likely remove a chrome cover, then there should be a large nut which will remove the stem. At the end of the stem there will probably be a rubber washer held on by a screw. This is the washer I'm talking about.

Since you've got the thing apart, now is the time to replace ALL washers, gaskets, and O-rings; also replace the screw that holds the washer on.

Any hardware store should have or be able to get the appropriate replacement parts.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Default Re: jim

Fencepost sounds like he knows what he's talking about. He forgot one VERY important step tho. TURN THE WATER OFF FIRST! . Otherwise, sounds great. Also, make sure the plumbing is properly secured and insulated.