+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Temporary Alternative to Boarding up Windows?

Greetings,

I've recently purchased an abandoned house that needs quite a bit of work. I have tons of broken windows that I was planning on boarding up before winter hits, while I do some work on the interior. I was wondering, could I perhaps use sheet plastic instead of boards, so I could get more light in the house (we're a ways off from getting the electricity turned on)? Are there any other materials any I should consider? Again, I'm looking for something to protect the interior from the elements that would still let some light in.

Thanks!

Default Re: Temporary Alternative to Boarding up Windows?

Would something like lexan be too expensive?

I hadn't ever heard of Lexan! After taking a look at what it is, and how much it costs, I think this might be a great alternative to the boards. What would you suggest to secure it?

I would recommend creating a weather proof shell rather than starting interior repairs. Replace the glass and forget about it, why spend money on a temp fix, only to spend more money later on the proper fix? No matter how cheap the lexan or any other material is, it will be wasted money that could go towards upgraded doors, windows, floor coverings, etc.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

If you are going ot restore hte old windows, you could purchase some inexpensive storm windows. You may likely end up keeping them on there long term anyway.

The lexan isn't a bad idea. You could even make your own storm window using lexan and make a simple rectangular wood frame. You could probably just router out a groove for the lexan to sit in.

Lexan probably isn't much more expensive as plywood either and it's easy to cut. You could cut hte lexan to fit just in front of the blindstop of the window, then secure it by either drilling holes into the blind stop. It could even be air tight with some weather stripping. I'd oversize the holes in the lexan so it can expand and contract a little and only tighten it loosely. DRemeber... don't seal up the bottom of the panel or leave some weep holes so condensation can drain.

Maybe a strategy usign all 3. Plywood, storm windows and lexan panels.

Heck, this doens't soudn like a bad idead for some temporary storm windows in my house in a couple places where I don't need operable windows and it's on the back and side of the house. I may have to price out some lexan.
    Last edited by motoguy128; 09-28-2011 at 10:40 AM.
    1925 Two-Story Stucco Beaux Arts Neoclassical

I just looked at lexan prices. It might be cheaper to just get a storm window for $80-100.

Spruce is correct,

You always start with your shell first, the roof being primary. Once you have the shell complete, then head to the interior. Cover your new windows with a partial piece of plywood if you need the security.

Lexan is a material used in NASCAR windows- it doesn't shatter when impacted. Sorta like plexiglass, but not.

With the little bit of house work I've done on older homes, we always started from the outside going in. Main reason being moisture concerns and a complete inability to deal with wood work in such an environment. It's better to assess the property and start with exterior design features you desire and pick/search for some windows to add to the home and install them. Begin the weather proofing phase and the interior will take care of itself and be a much more pleasurable experience to boot.

I've looked at some prices recently. You can get a cheap storm window for less than lexan... and it will have a screen and look a lot better.

Agree on the exterior. You could ignore an interior for 100 years the house won't be worse off. But ignore the exterior for more than even as little as 10 years and permanent damage will begin.