+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: selecting new toilet - American Standard, Gerber or Toto

All this hype about American Standard. I have seen do one mention the fact that they have the highest return for manufacture defects then any other major brand. At one time they had a good product. Back in the 1960's. Then they went for the quite flushing toilet. From that point on it was all down hill. The flush was terrible then and it is the same today. Before you buy one take the bowls out of the box and set them on the floor. I bet it takes at least three before you find one that doesn't wobble. The castings are horrible. The only reason in my first post on this thread I made Std. my 2nd choice was because the other choice was Gerber which is a secondary line of fixtures and as far as I'm concerned American Standard is well on it's way to becoming one also.

John

druryd, "As an employee of American Standard" I have a question for you. I have two Champion 4 toilets. One started out as a Champion 3 but the outstanding customer service department at AS gave me an update flapper valve.

The toilet comes with some kind of coating to prevent the growth of bacteria. As a result, the toilets only occasionally need a quick brush to keep them looking new. My question: If stains or rings do eventually appear, will a normal cleanser damage this coating? Is there a recommended cleaner for this toilet bowl when a quick brushing is not enough? If you don't know of a safe cleaner to use, then you guys should consider formulating one, it would be another opportunity for you.

Champion toilets from big retail stores come with what appears to be steel tank bolts which is very bad. The seat is very low grade thin plastic.

I have had problems with the early Champions and with the current Champion 4. Tank bolts loosen up over time, tank rocks over time. Web serch brings up lots of issues with it.

Instructions say don't over tighten but you have got to so to keep it from leaking.

I use TOTO and I install a lot of toilets. American Standard is not making them as good as they use too.
    Last edited by AndrewThePlumber; 02-02-2012 at 03:52 PM. Reason: spelling
    Andrew
    Tennessee Master Plumber

Hello all! I know this forum is older BUT I'm hoping someone will see this and help me out! I am currently renovating my little home and need two SMALL toilets. My house (cottage) has minimal bathroom space and I need to know if <a href="https://www.plumbersstock.com/category/320/american-standard/">American Standard</a> is a good fit in small places, help!

Quote Originally Posted by chloemariebenson View Post
    Hello all! I know this forum is older BUT I'm hoping someone will see this and help me out! I am currently renovating my little home and need two SMALL toilets. My house (cottage) has minimal bathroom space and I need to know if <a href="https://www.plumbersstock.com/category/320/american-standard/">American Standard</a> is a good fit in small places, help!
    Take the toilet measurements and see for yourself it's going to fit in your compact space. We can't recommend, because we don't know how much space you have.