+ Reply to Thread

Default new planters but crawl space.

I want to put some 18" high planters on this wall but what do i do about crawl spaces and hose bib pipes?
    Last edited by Bluefairy; 09-20-2011 at 03:10 AM. Reason: forgot to insert photo

Default Re: new planters but crawl space.

You'll need to elaborate more on what is there and what you're trying to do.

If you are adding planters up against the house, you must leave a gap of at least 3 inches between the back wall of the planter and the face of the house wall. If this will be a wood planter box with a wood rail around the top, in addition to the 3 inch air gap of the walls, you must have at least 1 inch of clearance between the top rail and the house (prevents earth/wood contact with the structure that would provide a pathway for termites to enter the structure ).

If you use masonry, then you can go with no gap (still not recommended though ), but there must be flashing between the house and masonry of the planter.

As far as running a hose bib through the separation walls, no matter what they're made of, I wouldn't recommend it. I would reroute the water line up and over or around the planter so that it doesn't create a leak where you don't want one, and you can't damage it with a shovel while working in the new planter bed.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I'm not understanding what you mean by " 1 inch of clearance between the top rail and the house". I tried to attach a photo to this post but it wouldnt let me.

I am intending to draft something out so the contractor can just build it.

Let me simplify it. You are required to have no less than 3" of air space between the planter and the house.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

do i need to locate new crawl space access if I build right over it?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefairy View Post
    do i need to locate new crawl space access if I build right over it?
    Not trying to be an arse, but seriously?!?!?

If you no longer want access to the crawl space, then build your planters wherever you want. If you'd like to maintain access, then you're going to have to come up with a compromise between your planters and having access or relocating the access point to a less conspicuous place. It will depend on how your home was built just how easy it will be to relocate the access point.