+ Reply to Thread

Default walls cracking due to floor being pushed up

Our dining room and living room are separated by a wall with a large opening that had been french doors. The door sill was being bowed in center from downward pressure on both ends; we found out there was no support directly under these ends. A contractor moved support to both ends of the door opening, and cranked upwards. This straightened the sill considerably, but I believe the straightening was done too quickly, as we have been getting more and more cracking of walls in many rooms since - upstairs as well as main floor - over last 4+ years. I was hoping it would stop after a year or two, but seems it has not. What do we do?

We purchased the house in 2004, it was originally built in 1929, and is an old summer cottage that was added onto - second story pushed out to make it larger.

Default Re: walls cracking due to floor being pushed up

Howdy, cracking in several rooms or in the rooms adjoining the wall that was jacked up? Do any ot the homes doors stick or windows any basement- any cracks in the foundation walls?
    Are the cracks widening? Do they stair step up or down? Any cracks in the ceilings? Any broken pipes in the last few years? any changes to drainage around the home rain gutters?

The cracking can be simply taped and floated. Fiberglass tape verses paper drywall tape is preferred. There is a little spray can of crack sealer that is sold at lowes or home depoe that you simply spray the crack an paint over it. Worked good on my house it has good elastic property.