+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Expensive Cast Iron Drain issue

I wouldn't be surprised if a section is slightly pitched in the wrong direction. Over time that section will build up deposits and at that time it will become a reoccurring issue.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptTCB View Post
    I mean exactly that. The snake will not penetrate. It will not go through the p trap or will not make the 90. My cut off snake will usually make the 90 of a lavatory drain but none of my snakes have made it through the p trap of the bathtub drain. Trust me - the line is not broken. The only choice I have is to go down a floor in my five story building and cut out the ceiling to get access to the upstairs drain lines to replace them - which I have done 11 times or use a drain cleaner.

It is an extremely messy job which also disrupts the tenant in the lower floor so if I can use a drain cleaner and achieve sucess I use the drain cleaner.
    Your doing something wrong or using the wrong snake. Are you snaking the line through the overflow on the tub. That's the way it is done. I have been doing this for 50 years on thousands of tub drains. I cant remember ever not getting the snake through a tub trap that was not broken. I have had to remove some traps that were full of grout from tilers washing there grout pails out in the tub.

John

No I am not doing something wrong or using the wrong snake. After 99 years the traps for the tubs are calcified up. I've worked for hours with a variety of snakes and have not gotten through one tub drain yet. Yes, I snake the drain through the overflow. I have even saved some of the cast iron traps to show others the difficulty of maintaining plumbing in old buildings. Trust me - I would rather snake a drain then go one floor below, cut out the ceiling, cut out the old plumbing, put it all back together again, and replace the ceiling. Very messy, time consuming and a disturbance to the tenant in the lower apartment.