+ Reply to Thread

Default Brick over painted cement steps

Hello everyone. Currently, our home has a functional and structurally sound set of cement steps leading up to the front door. The previous home owner painted over the steps (multiple times) and it just doesn't look very good. I'm thinking of putting in a brick/paver walkway leading up to the steps and was wondering if it would be possible to cover the existing stair way with bricks or pavers. I've seen 'how to guides' on how to do it, but they never mention anything about the stairs being painted. Is this a non issue, or will it cause a an issue with the pavers bonding to the steps?

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Brick over painted cement steps

There will be a few problems;

1- Bonding the pavers to the paint. You'll do well to start with a 3600 PSI (or greater) power washer and one of those rotary nozzle heads which can remove the top layer of ceement. Wear long pants and boots.

2- Height of the top stair to the landing/ house once the thickness of the pavers is calculated in. Stairs with differing height risers isn't a good idea and not code in many areas.

Thanks Houston. Will a power washer really be enough to take the paint off? Would some kind of chemical stripper be quicker/easier? Does it need to be totally removed, or just 'mostly off' to get the new pavers to adhere properly?

I'm not to worried about the height difference - I think that I've got plenty of clearance.

The powerwashing is a great first step. The trouble with solvents is they melt the paint deeper into the pores of the concrete. Optimal would be to power wash then use a diamond cup grinder blade on a right angle grinder to take the remaining bits of paint away. Ideally you want as pristine a surface as possible to assure the best bond with the thinset you'll be using.

Look at my response to another member with a paint removal issue. Same fix should work for you...... Tip: Remember most harsh products sold by Lowes & Home Depot are suspect as being homeowner strength. Best Paint Remover for you is probably TR-7 by ABR Products out of Franklin, Wisconsin. Hazardious to ship so find their local dealer. CLEAN: You'll get a awesome clean set of steps if it works. ( Remember only a few paints aren't stripped by this stuff but we consider it the one that works on the better paints like the curb marking yellow paint and epoxy paints which are likely what is used on outside concrete for good wear life.) Apply & pressure wash off in 30 to 60 minutes Apply heavy and don't dare back brush or you've shot yourself in the foot for getting expected results. If it doesn't easily wash off stop and get in touch as plan B is me specifying the right stripper if the killer product fails. NEXT YOU CAN CRANK UP THE PRESSURE IF A ROUGHER CLEAN BONDING SURFACE IS YOUR GOAL.