+ Reply to Thread

Default Postcards from China: Plumbing

As some of you may know, I am visiting China at the moment. And as my interests always have to do with construction, I notice a lot of things that are different.

I am staying in an apartment which is less than 10 years old, new and modern. New apartments are delivered to the buyers in an unfinished conedition, and the buyers finish the way they like it, from floors to ceilings.

If you are interested to know, here are some of my obserervations about residential plumbing. Now, the plumbing in this apartment may not be the norm in the entire country, but could be a sample of how it's done today.

1. Pipes are in the walls, they use copper and pex. Wall stubs have angle stops with 1/4 turn, supply lines are similar to ours.
    2. Drains: here is a mystery: I can't see traps under the sinks. The water drains into a larger diameter drain pvc pipe, that vanishes into the concrete floor. There is no real connection - something like a washer's connection into the drain in the USA.
    3. Faucets are similar to ours.
    4. Showers - marble tiles on walls and floor.
    5. Toilets - Toto style, with 2 flushes (short and long).
    6. All sizes are in metric.

That's it for now. If you like to read more, let me know, and I'll post more observations in plumbing and other trades.

Default Re: Postcards from China: Plumbing

dj1- From what your saying the waste lines go into a indirect waste. Is it just the sinks? What do they do with the toilet waste?

John

John,

The toilets seem to be connecteded the same way as ours in this apartment. I will try to check other places, wihout raising my hosts' eyebrows...

From wandering around town, I noticed older buildings with outdoor drain pipes that had traps, visible outdoor. So I can assume that the newer buildings have traps hidden in places only local plumbers know...

I wonder if the sinks drain into a floor basin, something like this:

(Note how the SS sink drain empties into the white basin mounted in the floor, underneath)
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencepost View Post
    I wonder if the sinks drain into a floor basin, something like this:

(Note how the SS sink drain empties into the white basin mounted in the floor, underneath)
    That is a indirect waste. It's required on any commercial sink that is used for cleaning dishes or food prep. The main reason being is if there is a stoppage in the drain line it will not allow contaminated water to enter the sink through the drain line.

John

[QUOTE=Fencepost;252595]I wonder if the sinks drain into a floor basin, something like this:

(Note how the SS sink drain empties into the white basin mounted in the floor, underneath)[UOTE]

I couldn't open the photo, so I'll do it on my computer when I return home. Here I'm using somebody's old, slow and broken laptop...

I'm going to take some new photos and post them later.