Default Window trim appears crooked, but its the ceiling!

My house was built in 1921, and has some settling issues and some poor framing issues.

My problem at the moment is in the mudroom. The ceiling is crooked, it slopes about 2-1/4" inches over a 10' foot run. I'm attempting to put in new window trim (3" trim with a 5" header to match elsewhere in the house); but when I put the header in level, it appears to be badly crooked, because of the ceiling.

Any ideas/tips as to disguise the problem?

Default Re: Window trim appears crooked, but its the ceiling!

Just a quick question: can you see how badly the ceiling is without the trim, since you said that you noticed it with the trim?

If not, maybe skip the trim?

Because a slope this big is probably a structual fault, and at this point may not be worth fixing.

Just a quick question: can you see how badly the ceiling is without the trim, since you said that you noticed it with the trim?

If not, maybe skip the trim?

Because a slope this big is probably a structual fault, and at this point may not be worth fixing.

theres on of two things i would do.

first would be to level the ceiling, this would involve tearing out the existing drywall then using steel stud run the channel around hte perimeter of the room level then redrywall it trying to maintain as much head room as possible, or strap the ceiling shimming it to level then new drywall.

the other option would be to use flat stock for the trim so you wont be cutting into the profile of the trim. its still not going to hide the ceiling
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Thanks.

Fortunately its not a structural defect, just very poor craftsmanship. I was concerned enough at first to consult a structural engineer who reviewed the issue and determined its structurally sound, crooked framing from what looks to be a do-it-yourself attempt at a small addition.

The ceiling is slightly noticeably out of square without any window trim, but once you put something level within 6" of the ceiling, it becomes very apparent.

The wife really wants the trim around the window(s) to match the existing elsewhere in the house, especially since this window is visible from the newly remodeled kitchen.

Follow the old saying "if mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy", level the ceiling and attach the trim.